• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Long detailed story of dealing with Sprint Customer Service.

Thank you. Hadn't even thought of it this way at the time. I didn't even question the employee who suggested it when they looked at my phone. All I knew was I wanted my phone fixed.
I had the dreaded USB disconnecting from main board issue where Sprint blames HTC and HTC blames Sprint but in the end the customer pays the price for a flawed design.

I ended up leaving the Evo on my primary line; gave the Photon away then when the problem occurred on the replacement I got the iPhone 4S.

When I took the iPhone back it was within 48 hrs of purchase.

Makes perfect sense. The evo most likely would have been covered even without tep anyway for that issue.

That guy was looking out for you for sure!

Most of us really do that

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Makes perfect sense. The evo most likely would have been covered even without tep anyway for that issue.

That guy was looking out for you for sure!

Most of us really do that

Ahhh here's the rub.... Sprint or HTC (dont know who) decided the USB port disconnecting from the mainboard was user error even though it was well documented. If memory serves me correctly, the return rate of Evos this was happening to was extremely high. So, instead of either Sprint or HTC doing the right thing, the customer had to pay the deductible for manufacturer defects.

That's why when it happened again, I refused to pay again for another Evo; the risk of potentially getting another one that breaks w/In 2 months was to much for me.

Upvote 0
Finally heard from Sprint last night. Since I filed a VERY detailed complaint with the Better Business Bureau (believe it or not FAR more detailed than what I have written here) miraculously they have decided it IS possible to replace my phone with a different device, hmmm seems like I have been told for some time that that just was not possible.
They offered me the new S3, I told the nice lady that that was still a Samsung phone just the next iteration of the device I have but she assured me that I would have "far better luck" with this device than my current device.
I asked what would happen if I got the phone and continued to get the roaming notices that I, and the rest of the people on both of accounts are getting, and she said we would address that "if and when it happens" that Sprint wanted to get a "new device in my hands to address the BBB complaint"
I asked the nice lady why I, my family, and my neighbors who use Sprint, had begun to receive "International Roaming Notifications" and she had no answer other than "lets try the new device first and if that eliminates the roaming notices we can address the other phones on your account.
New phone should be here Monday, we shall see.
I will add that Sprint's willingness to work with me on this issue took an amazing turn once they were notified of the BBB complaint, but of course that could just be a coincidence.

Upvote 0
I didn't feel like re reading everything again so if this has already been asked/answered my apologies. My question, my phone has a settings where I can put it on CDMA or automatic for roaming; by any chance did you ever check your settings and make sure yours wasn't set to automatic?

A couple of months ago my phone suddenly started doing the same thing. I hadn't made any changes and clearly wasn't roaming. I checked my settings and sure enough, my phone was on automatic. Don't know how it got there to begin with. Haven't had any roaming issues since then.

Upvote 0
I didn't feel like re reading everything again so if this has already been asked/answered my apologies. My question, my phone has a settings where I can put it on CDMA or automatic for roaming; by any chance did you ever check your settings and make sure yours wasn't set to automatic?

A couple of months ago my phone suddenly started doing the same thing. I hadn't made any changes and clearly wasn't roaming. I checked my settings and sure enough, my phone was on automatic. Don't know how it got there to begin with. Haven't had any roaming issues since then.
The settings have been changed multiple time at the instruction of Sprint Tech Services and at the direction of the associates that I have been dealing with in "the office of the CEO".
At this point I truly question if its an issue with the phone, I have made this clear to lady I am dealing with now. Like I said a total of six phones on my accounts encompassing different models from different manufactures are getting the domestic and international roaming notices, that combined with the fact that some of my neighbors are having the same issues leads me to believe that for what ever there is a severe coverage issue in our area. I could be completely wrong, I do not profess to have any knowledge of cell towers or how they work.

Upvote 0
The common denominator, being Sprint service has me believing also it is the service and not everybody's individual phone as being the problem.
If it were one phone, ok but not all plus neighbors. I don't see Sprint replacing 6 phones regardless of BBB involvement.
They haven't been asked to replace six phones. They were actually given the opportunity to NOT replace my phone, just merely let me out of the contracts with no ETF based on the coverage issues, they chose not to do that, instead the started the "your not REALLY roaming" defense. That defense by the way made the young lady at the BBB in the department that handles cell phone complaints chuckle out loud, I got the feeling she had heard of them using that one before :)

Upvote 0
Ya sometimes have to wonder what businesses are thinking. If, in fact, something's happened to coverage in your area, certainly one would expect Sprint would know what it is and whether it might be expected to be fixed soon. If such is the case and they don't: Fail. If they do, but choose instead to try to remedy it with the wrong fixes: Fail.

It sounds to me like all they're accomplishing here is to convert a bunch of new handsets into used ones, waste time & money, annoy customers, generate bad PR and generally... fail.

Jim

Upvote 0
I couldn't say, I have been with Sprint since I believe 2001, I would have to ask some of my neighbors who they use and what coverage they have been getting.
The savior phone is supposed to be here Monday, I'm sure all will wonderful after that.

LOL @ the savior phone.
There's an app in the play store called Carrier Coverage. You can use that to show you who provides better service in your area.

There's also a youtube vid about the app. Search CarrierCoverage (no spaces)

Upvote 0
Not impressed with the battery life. I have everything off and I went from 100% at 10:00am yesterday to 20% at 5:00pm, one 5 minute call, fifteen texts and a lot of "playing" with it, I don't know maybe that's not too bad.
I really like the phone, I can always buy an extended life battery for it if it works out and I keep it.

Upvote 0
So better but not fixed, see if they will give you 5 more phones or let you loose.
I don't think they are going to do either of those options. I have been working with the local consumer "trouble shooter" at our NBC affiliate, we've put together a pretty good little piece that will hopefully air in a month or so. I'm sure Sprint will be thrilled. We have some great video of my phone "internationally roaming" in my driveway, as well as a great shot of ALL of my phones, and four of my neighbors all roaming at the same time. Come on Sprint, address the issue.

Upvote 0
Woody, don't hold your breath. Yesterday a Sprint Customer Service Supervisor gave me an email address and told me to look up towers using that email on an alleged website that exists somewhere that tells you what's going on with towers. She was insistent that I could access the website by using the email address in a browser. I kept trying to explain to her that what she gave me was an email address and that what I needed was a URL to access the website and she barely understood what I was trying to tell her. She ended up transfering me to a trucking line instead of providing me with the URL so I could access this website that she was too lazy or uninterested to look at herself to tell me if anything was going on with the towers in my area. Of course, she couldn't get there to find the information because she would have used an email address as a URL in a browser. She was very friendly though.

Yeah, don't count on customer service to be able to handle any issue that you have. Jump ship as soon as you can if they give you the opportunity. Don't bother looking back until/when/if they get Network Vision up and running (and it actually does what they promise it will do), and they hire, train, and equip customer service representatives properly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones