• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My new Droid Bionic is dead!

Totally off topic, but why didn't you exchange it at costco?

Largely because I am lazy. Costco wanted everything returned (including the SIM card and the memory card) and they'd do it as a return and then sell me a whole new unit. I didn't want to lose my data. (OK, mostly my music.) The only way I know to preserve stuff from my memory card is to copy it to my PC, but with the phone completely dead, the USB hookup wasn't going to be all that useful (and I don't have a card reader for cards that size).

The experience (and your post) reminded me that I really need to poke around here and get some decent advice on a good backup app. (And something to back up the apps. Or, rather, the data in the apps. I mean, I had to start Angry Birds all over again when I finally moved from the Droid to the Bionic. Hours of pig carnage were just lost. Surely, there has to be a way to prevent that.)

But, in any event, to answer your question, Verizon said the replacement would likely be new anyway, and I'd keep the memory card, so that seemed like the best bet.

Upvote 0
There isn't a huge crowd of people having these issues or at least the ones that are reporting it. You're probably the 3rd person I've read that had a dead Bionic. First one was a guy using his phone and it died on him while on a call. The OP here is the 2nd and yours is the 3rd. May be more but I haven't see any posts or missed them. The 3 of you most likely got the bad batch and it seems pretty small. Unless others can chime in on the same issue.

My droid died while I was on the phone. I've had issues with it overheating (extremely hot) when I have the hotspot on or talking too long. It's not the charger. The phone has actually killed two of my chargers (from the Verizon store). I have one at work and it will not charge the phone nor will my car phone. This is not the best phone.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm...... Haven't had premature death, but it has turned off on it's own and I've had to do a battery pull to get it to power on again. Should I panic yet?

BTW: The same or another OEM battery will work after I have to pull it to restart it so I have no idea what's up.
Don't panic yet but don't be surprised if it happens to you. My phone died today (R.I.P) and this phone has overheated and caused me more grief than necessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones