• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My phones saying os! send help

I was walking on the beech with my phone and all of a sudden it starts raining. I go home take the battery out, and sim card. I read a few articles, then put it in the freezer for 10 minutes. I turn it on and a screen comes up saying I need to download a custom os. press volume up to download and down to restart. I tried both buttons and neither worked. I tried resetting it. but everything iv'e tried hasn't worked. Please if you know ANYTHING let me know, I have to drive far, and there's no way I can drive without gps!!!

The freezer trick only applies to old,conventional, spinning-disc hard drives, the issue being heat expands, cool shrinks and with tolerances being so tight inside any conventional drive the minute change caused by the sudden, drastic temperature change might free up internal, moving parts that might be stuck. But in a smartphone, there are no moving parts. putting your phone in the freezer is of no benefit. And if you didn't let the phone warm up properly (gradually), the condensation you intentionally caused was more harmful than helpful.
If your phone just got splashed a bit by the rainfall it probably is OK but if it got really drenched than disassemble it as much as you can (remove the back cover, the battery, the SIM card, and the microSD card if you have one), put everything in a bag full of dry, uncooked rice, close the bag up, and let it sit untouched for at least a couple of days. Tolerances inside a phone are really tight too so even a drop of water can spread out quite a bit by just capillary action. If any water did work its way inside your phone, hopefully by turning it back on so soon didn't short out any internal components. (If this happens again, turn off the phone as soon as possible, and do NOT turn it back on again until you've dried it out.)

Upvote 0
Buy some. Or couscous (or silica gel, of course).

Seriously, there is no shortcut. If water got in the phone must stay turned off until it is thoroughly dry.

As for a message saying you "must" install a custom OS, are you sure? (Don't turn it on again to check!). Stock software would never say that, so I assume that the phone has been modified, e.g. a custom recovery installed, if you are seeing something like that.

Upvote 0
Booting into recovery or download mode might be a sign of damage itself. Generally you access these special modes by booting the phone while pressing some button combination (which may just be holding one of the volume buttons down). If the button is shorted by moisture and so effectively being held down already you would boot into that mode on a restart. And in that case it's also likely that neither button would respond (because you can't "release" the bad one).

If that is what's happened your best bet is to hope it stops when the phone dried out. Otherwise it's a repair, which is probably slower than buying a new phone and could well only be short term.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones