• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Samsung Galaxy Prevail from Platinumtel came rooted

payme001

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
I was looking to Root my new (Referb) phone from PlatinumTel

The phone Samsung Galaxy Prevail that came from PlatinumTel ($54.00) was already Rooted but I had to download the superuser from the Google Play market before I could use the Tools.

I verified the root access then used Rooted tools successfully: Titanium backup, adaway, Link2SD etc.

But, phone was asking me do the android over the air update since I was not sure if this will remove the Root or not I did not wanted to take and chance. I was able to disable using another free program Autorun Manager. I found the TIP under this thread " [TIP] Use Autostarts to disable FA19 Update " Since I can not copy the links here is the except from the Tread.

Copied from the tread original response by theonewho

"I used autorun manager which is free in the market and it looks like it did the trick too. To use this one, open autorun manager (duh ;-P) and click "Recommended Advanced Mode". Then hit menu>Settings and enable "Show system entries". Hit back button and find the Google Services Framework and click on that. Then below that look for the one that says com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService$ Receiver and uncheck it. Then just back button out and reboot phone.
I'm pretty sure I got that all right, but if I missed something it should be obvious (hopefully)."

Worked very well, After that I was able to use Link2SD program with Partitioned SD card and was able to download angrbirds and other large apps etc and either moved to SD or link2SD them.

So far so good, All I need a good backup program to backup my current phone ROM/state since ROM manager doesn't play nice with this phone and ACS updater that other threads mentioned is not available.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones