• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Verizon App - is it doing you a favor..or VZW..?

jamesnmandy

Android Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2010
So I used to use it regularly on stock setup. Back then at least I know it seemed as if it was recoding data usage from both Wifi and Cellular combined.

because my normal usage is to leave wifi on which means it should be on my wifi connection at home and on works open wifi at work, so theres only brief periods like a quick run to the store where im not in a wifi area....

and one month it was showing around 5Gb of data usage. my account on the VZW website agreed with this figure. seeing as i am 95% connected to Wifi.....is it even possible that it is using 3G the entire time instead of Wifi? based on my speedtests and whatnot i say no, i am definately connected to Wifi, because for instance i cannot pull 10mbps on 3G, but thats what i get every time i run speedtest.net on my phone at home, and i have a 10mbps pipe into the house...so it mirrors my desktop......which makes it extremely unlikely that i did 5Gb in a month over 3g.....unless it is combining 3g and wifi data and reporting all of it to VZW

i am a heavy user, my phone is either streaming Pandora at work or is using Andchat or surfing the web at home, i rarely use my pc just for email or web surfing anymore.....it has an exchange server for work and my gmail accounts set up to auto sync as well so it gets used heavily, enough i have to charge every night

so a couple things could be happening, when i am at home or work it could be favoring the cellular radio anyways? seems odd that my phone would show it is connected to the wifi network but then still use the cell 3g data anyways......so how does the phone handle this? if both are on how does it determine what to use and when to switch?

and more precisely, the reason i post this, is because theres a lot of talk about VZW throttling data speeds and monitoring tethering data.....and im wondering if the My Verizon app is maybe the way they are keeping track of that, under the guise of being your "companion" to help you keep track of data usage with a "nifty neat desktop widget for your android phone". are they using this app to help monitor your usage?

anyone know any specific info on how these phones handle data with multiple options?

If your screen shuts off while Pandora is playing, your wifi may be going to sleep with the screen, forcing Pandora to continue on 3G.

Go to Settings/ Wireless & Networking/ Wi-Fi settings/ Advanced/ Wi-Fi sleep Policy/ and make sure it is not set to "when screen turns off".

Mine is set to never when plugged in....but i recently loaded a new kernel, not sure what it was set on past months

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones