• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need advice/help

fweiss09

Jun 9, 2012
So I finally decided to upgrade my rooted EVO and want to wipe the phone & use it solely as a media player (movies/music). I went through and wiped the phone but think I may have goofed and should have just used Titanium backup to delete specific apps I didn't want because now I need to be able to play the media files off the sd card.

Is there a way to install an app still even though the phone no longer has service?

So I finally decided to upgrade my rooted EVO and want to wipe the phone & use it solely as a media player (movies/music). I went through and wiped the phone but think I may have goofed and should have just used Titanium backup to delete specific apps I didn't want because now I need to be able to play the media files off the sd card.

Is there a way to install an app still even though the phone no longer has service?

Hey there, fweiss09, I've gone-ahead and moved your thread to the Evo 4G all-things-root area for you.

You can still use the Play Market through a wi-fi connection even if it doesn't have carrier service (I do this for my HTC Eris and my Droid X--works great).

If you need to, you can always side-load your apps (i.e., using adb or copying to your SD card and installing via a file manager).

Cheers!

edit: you ninja'd me! :) :p (glad you figured it out :thumbup: :))

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
yep my og is evo is out of commission with sprint, but i still use it as an mp3 player/tablet when i work out. i can still use my internet provided i'm on wifi.

also have you tried http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...m-inactive-devices-ubersonic.html#post4971937 ? it works great and it has all of the cellular part turned off so that you can use wifi and music player. it is pretty sweet.....check it out and let us know how you like it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones