• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need Help Getting Rid Of Notification ICON

I use Handcent SMS for my messaging purposes. After rooting my phone and going back to stock one time I reinstalled everything on my phone. Now I reinstalled Handcent and whenever I get a new message the Handcent Icon pops up and so does another notification icon and I just want it to stop.

When I get a new message:

2uf3lef.png

Notification window view of two notifications:

15i8bra.png

When I read the message the Handcent notification goes away and default stays:

dndba8.png

I just want the default notification to go away. I have tried turning off notification icon for the default messaging app and that didn't help. I don't know what else to do. Every time I get a notification my phone skips and rings twice because of the two icons appearing seconds after each other its so annoying. The default notification also only leaves if you hit the clear button in the notification shade. HELP?

The notifications in the stock app are off! See now they're on and you can see the stock app icon. Three notification icons for one message:

igb4fm.png

Im gonna turn notifications back off but it doesn't help getting rid of the "New Messages(s)" notification. I just want it to go away.

For more info.

The first notification is the one I want to get rid of.
The second is handcent which is the only one I want.
The third is the stock app which I have turned off notifications for the stock app. So that first notification is not from the stock app.

Upvote 0
those are both hanscent icons, I had the same issue right after they updated the settings menu a few updates ago. I think it hast something to do with the unread message count display but I can't remember for sure. I looked through the settings myself and nothing jumped out. play with your handcent settings and hopefully you will stumble upon it. good luck

Upvote 0
those are both hanscent icons, I had the same issue right after they updated the settings menu a few updates ago. I think it hast something to do with the unread message count display but I can't remember for sure. I looked through the settings myself and nothing jumped out. play with your handcent settings and hopefully you will stumble upon it. good luck

The third icon at the top of the pic in hte third post is wha the OP was referring to.

The other two are definitely Handcent and Stock messaging app icons - they look the same except for the fact that one is grey.

Any solution to this yet? I'm having the same exact problem and it's most likely a product of Handcent SMS as it appeared after I reinstalled it recently. Unfortunately unless I looked past it, it appears that there are no settings for the second white notification icon.

OK, so just to be sure, you're seeing that sunny envelope icon?

Or are you just seeing duplicated quot boxes, one gray and one whatever color you have set in Handcent?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones