• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need info on Xperia Play

axlcb

Lurker
Feb 5, 2013
Looking to buy this phone for my son to play games, not looking to activate it with a mobile carrier. I would like to know:

1- Can I download apps from Google Play store via WiFi without it being subscribed to a mobile carrier such as Verizon?

2- How do touchscreen games such as Angry Birds play on this phone? (Does the Xperia Play have some sort of touchscreen controls or a way to play these app games?)

I would like to be able to download game apps from Google for my son to play as well as install emulator games such as Nesoid as well.

Thanks for any help!

Looking to buy this phone for my son to play games, not looking to activate it with a mobile carrier. I would like to know:

1- Can I download apps from Google Play store via WiFi without it being subscribed to a mobile carrier such as Verizon?
Yes, I have my retired phones running that way.

2- How do touchscreen games such as Angry Birds play on this phone? (Does the Xperia Play have some sort of touchscreen controls or a way to play these app games?)
It does have a touchscreen, so games that don't support the hardware controls will play just like a phone.

I would like to be able to download game apps from Google for my son to play as well as install emulator games such as Nesoid as well.
While the emulators are available, you need to own the games in order to play them. So if you get the Nesoid emulator and want to play Mario Brothers, it is only legal if you own the NES version of Mario Brothers.

Thanks for any help!
Again, Welcome to Android Forums.:)

Reactions: axlcb
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones