• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need to sync GS2 with Outlook.

Hi!

I don't want to open a new topic. I got my work phone, that is SGS2. I have updated it on 2.3.5. But I have mailfuncioned mail account! I have a Microsoft Exchage account. That is instaled properly, but it just doesnt sync. I have set the every option, but it doesnt sync of rearly. I have reset the account, made everything new, but nothing changed. Do you have any suggestions about it? :thinking:

Thanks for any help about the E-mail's.

Off topic: I have the phone for about a month. And must say that I'm very dissapoited about it. OK, it is fast. But before that I've hade HTC Legend (2.2 Froyo) and in comparison with the user interface and everything else I have tried with SGS2. It's just something different. I kill apps with Advanced task killer, but they reopen by them selves. I have almost 10 apps, that are running in background, when I turn off the screen. Why is gallery running, when I don't take pic's and don't watch them???? :thinking:

Maybe it is the last update that is troubling me, I don't know, but until now, I is a VERY BAD copy of iPhone, that is running mailfuncioned Gingerbread Android. :mad:

Upvote 0
Having spent 3 hrs on problems with syncing S2 with outlook I have worked out what it is. It is to do with Calenders and gmail. Go into calenders and untick all gmail crap. Then it will work with outlook no prob. I don't want my appointments on a gmail calender. Don't trust. So it is now on outlook and my phone and not any third party.

Upvote 0
After a day or two struggling with this very problem, i am happy to say that MyPhoneExplorer from the app market does the trick perfectly!!

It comprises of a PC app and a phone client. With the PC app you identify the Outlook folders that you want to sync. And the phone client communciates with the PC app via whatever communication link you establish (which includes tethering, Blue Tooth, WIFI, amongst others!). The app market provides the phone client and a link to the developer's website for the PC components and full usage details.

To sync (assuming all your setup has been done), i start the phone client, start the PC app, and select "Connect" from the PC app, and then the Sync button on the PC app. It does a full reconciliation, and you can override any updates. And you can have it log an HTML report of precisely what it did -- essential for sceptical persons such as myself!

It's free, but well worth a donation ;)

Thanks a lot..I was still on a digital diary in 2012! Did all the syncing with the above mentioned software easily and efficiently..my s2 is my new organizer!

Upvote 0
Having had HTC for years (Desire last), and the awful sync experience with HTC, I decided to try the Galaxy S2. Nice phone but synching thru Kies is even worse than HTC. After a day trying to resolve connection and synching problems with Kies I eventually tried MyPhoneExplorer. It's straightforward and it works!! I'd recommend giving it a try before persevering with Kies....

Upvote 0
More on: Max no. of Outlook Contacts

I just checked the GS2, all 1753 contacts have been sync'd into it from outlook. However, Kies still says, "Syncing Contacts on GT-I9100...67%".
I looked at "Task Manager" in Windows, it says Kies is still running, but it has been stopped at the 67% mark for 2 hours, not finishing up at all....what is going on?
I am afraid if I stop it now, and restart, then it will re-sync again and cause all the entries in my Contacts written into GS2 again, meaning, all records doubled up. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
@MukMuk .. my suggestion would be as follows:

• Build an Outlook contacts folder with everything exactly as you want it. Call it something like SGS2_Sync.
  • Back up this folder (copy and paste it elsewhere in your Outloook hierarchy) in case things go wrong, and call it SGS2_20120305.
  • Install the MyPhoneExplorer (MPE) components (see above) on your phone and PC.
  • As a once-off, clear all your phone contacts, and dump SGS2_Sync straight to your phone. Don't sync it to your phone, just copy straight over.
  • After this, you can use MPE to sync changes on both phone and Outlook.

Also by way of suggestion: the way i have mine set up is to have SGS2_Sync permanently assigned as my sync folder for MPE. And before each sync exercise, I copy the contents of this folder to a new folder in a separate Outlook file, archive.pst, where i collect all my backups. Each backup folder is named like the backup above (SGS2_ccyymmdd). This allows you to recover from any mistakes, and make informed decisions about deleting out-of-date backups.

HTH
:)

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I truly hope someone out there will be able to help.

I got my new GS2 a few weeks ago and still can't get it to sync properly with outlook 2010. I have about 2,000 contacts, loaded with info.
I have started using Kies which seems decent at the time, but was extremely slow. I don't care about the initial sync when all the data is loaded, but at least once a day I need to sync due to small changes in both Outlook and the GS2. It still takes forever, even when there are only few things to update and I am not sure all updates are done properly.

I started using MPE with great hopes and ended up with thousand of duplicates on the phone due to multiple syncs that did not get to finish properly, but did not report any error (??)/

Calendar, tasks and Notes seem to be working OK, so I deleted ALL my phone contacts and tried sync again (with force outlook to phone). The process always gets stuck and never finishes correctly. Tried Kies again and now it doesn't work at all. Tried restarting my phone, but it did not help.

I even created a CVS file from outlook and tried to import it using Kies, but it asked me to map about a hundred fields from outlook to the phone entries which did not look familiar at all... it doesn't have any suggested mapping even for the simplest things like home and business addresses.

I am at loss and utterly frustrated :mad:

Is there any decent software to do this simple task? (worked great with my old Nokia N95 using Nokia PC suite). I don't mind paying for it, but I don't want to end up paying again and again for something that doesn't work.

Any suggestions??

Upvote 0
Hi,

This is my first post and I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I have been observing this site for quite sometime to help me correct some of the issues I have been having regarding the Samsung Galaxy S2 and until now most things have worked.

I noticed in this thread that there have been a few users that are having the same issues I am having.

I have synced my exchange account (calendar, tasks and contacts) with my S2. While the initial sync works, any changes that are made after this to contacts on either phone or the PC after the initial sync do not appear.

I only use my outlook for contacts. So this is proving to be really frustrating.

I have tried deleting the account and then reconnecting the account and the same thing happens. I have even gone as far as factory resetting the phone but this has not worked either.

We are rolling these phones out within the company and my colleagues phone which I have also set up are working perfectly. So I have absolutely no idea why it is not working on my phone as I set them up exactly the same way. :mad:

Any help would be much appreciated.

One another topic I have found Kies on the whole to be pretty useless but was ecstatic to find that a program called Wondershare Mobile Go would backup the SMS, contacts, photos, movies, and applications. It's a free program and I have found VERY easy to use. I hope at least one person finds this information useful.

Upvote 0
davnon,
FYI I migrated from Blackberry to SGS2 about a month ago and have been through all the same dramas (as have a large % of Samsung users!).
I shelled out the money for Companion Link and sync via Google.

If you are happy to have your contacts and calendar on the Google cloud then I recommend going this way.

The Companion Link program on your computer syncs all your contacts and calendar entries to your Google Contacts and Google Calendar.
The SGS2 syncs its contacts and calendar to Google.
Syncing works both ways.
Once you are set up, it works on the fly so that if you add or change a contact or appointment in the SGS2, it will sync with Google and then change in Outlook in your office whenever Companion Link is set to sync.

So far, Companion Link has worked faultlessly for me. I have it on 2 way sync on my office desktop and on a laptop as well which only syncs one way.

Points to watch - Google Calendar does not support categories so you may have issues if you depend on categories. Also, Companion Link/Google do not sync Notes. I still use Kies to sync Notes and it works. Kies cannot handle my 1,300 contacts and 6,000 calendar entries.

Finally Google Calendar in Android only syncs back about 1 month in the past. I wanted everything synced going back about 5 years and on advice from posters here, I installed a calendar app called Calengoo which I now use as my default calendar on my SGS2 which works brilliantly and gives me everything in my Google Calendar account.

I hope this info is of assistance.
It is a tough road the first month or two until you get a system worked out that suits you.

Cheers
John K

Upvote 0
Here's a couple of things that have worked by 'trail and error' to partially resolve syncing issues between my Galaxy Exhibit II Contacts and Outlook 2007 Contacts using Kies 2.3 update 19. Results are not always what is expected.

1. Field mapping between outlook and the cell takes place automatically when you hit the 'sync' button. Attempting to modify the fields using the Kies Contact editor has not worked for me. For example, Outlook has a field for 'Full Name'. Kies provides fields in the editor for 'First, Middle, and Last Names'. It places parts of the full name into these fields... sort of randomly.

It would be nice if 'Field Mapping' could be set up manually! Does anyone know how to do that?

2. Placing a period, for example, after 'Dr.' will cause that title to dissappear from the list of contacts on the cell. It is automatically placed in a title box. If you want 'Dr James Smith'... don't place a period... or it will display only as 'James Smith' in the list on your cell.

3. First, back up your Outlook PST file. If you end up with dulpicate contacts on your cell... because of failed attempts at syncing, delete the entire contact list from your cell. Go to the Kies 'Tools' tab and click "Preferences'. Click 'Device'. Click 'Initialize Syncing Log''. Uncheck 'Contacts Log'. That results in a one-way transfer of contacts from Outlook to your Cell. If you don't 'Initialize', the syncing process will want to delete all contacts from Outlook, as well. A Dialog box will ask you if you want to 'Initialize'. If you don't go to the 'preferences' tab and select 'contacts', then every log will be ititialized.

The two Contact lists are not identical... for reasons I don't understand. In some cases, the first names are missing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones