• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Needing to buy a new (used) android

mysherrona

Lurker
May 23, 2017
Haven't been thru a a lot of phones in my time so I need some help replacing my LG G3. Insurance is offering to replace it with a L6 but I haven't really been impressed with my L3 so looking at other phones. I can't buy new, so looking a older models. One thing I have seen is sellers posting "The seller has indicated the device is not rooted, ROM'd, or otherwise software-modified after purchase." What does this mean and is it good or bad? Also thinking of changing carriers but know nothing about unlocked phones. Any advice appreciated.

What carrier are you thinking of going to and who are you using now?

Swappa.com is a great place to buy used phones from, I've gotten many and have had zero issues.

And yes, that statement means the phone hasn't been tinkered with, I always verify that with the seller before I buy.
I have looked at Swappa because a friend bought hers there. Insurance deductible is $125, so for about twice that I can buy a decent phone on Swappa. Having a hard time figuring out which to get based on reviews. As for carrier, I have been with AT&T for years but friends with Verizon seem to get better signal. That's why I'm wondering if I should buy a phone that is unlocked.

Upvote 0
AT&T uses GSM bands so it's much easier to get an unlocked phone for them. Verizon uses some GSM (LTE) bands and, most importantly, CDMA. You'll need to find a phone that supports Verizon's bands. The good news is that there are more out there now, most of the recent Motorola phones come to mind (X, Pure etc.). You can also get a Verizon branded phone and, more good news, if you decide to go back to AT&T you can without having to worry about it working (again, most will).

What phones are you looking at? Also, check willmyphonework.net to be sure it'll work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones