1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Never prompts for download location

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by MoodyBlues, Jul 20, 2020.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Despite having 'ask where to save files' on:

Screenshot_20200720-115412~(1).jpg
    ...Chrome NEVER does. It didn't on my previous phone either.

Since turning it on doesn't work...how can I have it prompt like it's supposed to? :thinking:

Motorola One Hyper, Android 10, not rooted, current version of Chrome.

2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Have you tried deleting the download location information?

I am just guessing here, because I would rather step in vomit than use Chrome, but I am just wondering if it might work if you don't have anyplace specified.

MoodyBlues and bcrichster like this.
  3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Did you insert a microSD card in the slot?
    Since I got 128GB on board memory I haven't. Just a guess ;)

MoodyBlues likes this.
  4. MoodyBlues

Can't. :eek: It's hardcoded in there.
    Heh heh heh! I know your feelings about Chrome. :D

I didn't use it for years, then just at some point, with a new phone, I did...and now I like some of its features, and even though I have DuckDuckGo installed, I almost never use it. On my computers, though, it's still SeaMonkey all the way.

5. MoodyBlues

Nope. With 100+ GB of free space [and I never used more than 50% of my previous phone's 64GB], adding a card will never happen.

6. puppykickr

Have you check the permissions for the app?

Storage comes to mind.

And as for the download location not being able to be set, I suppose that you have tried tapping on it.

Some of my apps even resond to a tap on the specific part of the download path that I touch.

Perhaps even adding a folder inside your Downloads folder would allow the option to be accessible.

And even though you seem to be against having an SD card inserted for some reason, I bet that if there was one in there then it would become an option- and possibly not only between 'Downloads' and the card.

It seems that sometimes you have to do something that winds up unlocking a seemingly unrelated feature somewhere else.

#6 puppykickr, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  7. MoodyBlues

Like I said, it's hardcoded in there--which I discovered by tapping on it. :)

With 128GB and, as noted, the fact that I never used more than 50% of the previous phone's 64GB, why on earth would I add a card? :thinking: I have nothing against extra cards...I just simply will never need one for this phone.

I may experiment with adding a downloads subdirectory to see if that has any effect.

8. puppykickr

I mentioned the card, because without a card the device only has one option of memory- perhaps if you give it another it will open more options.

Second, isn't it just like Google to have a selection there to tease you that does nothing but annoy?

I can't see how anyone could use Chrome.

Chrome

Chrome Forum

com.android.chrome

READ MORE
Last Updated
Rating
Installs