• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Android User Questions (From iOS)

Harmonica

Lurker
Apr 11, 2015
Hi,

On Monday i shall be receiving my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, i have been an iPhone user since the 4s and i thought this will be the perfect time to move to the dark side. :p

1. What do i use to transfer my data across, i understand i cant move the apps and i want to start fresh with the photos but the rest like contacts, music etc i will need to move to my Samsung phone, what is the best way to do this?

2. Can i move my Whatsapp across, for example all my convos etc, is this possible?

3. I noticed i will need a Gmail account, is this an important requirement? i currently have a new outlook account and a yahoo account, cant i use them instead?

4. Can you please give me tips and advice for a noobie using android, is there any apps or tricks i can do with android that i cant do with the iPhone?

Thanks.

Harmonica.

1. This should answer most of your questions. Google's guide to migrating from iOS to Android:
https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/switch/

For moving away from iMessage:
http://mashable.com/2014/11/10/apple-imessage-android-fix/

2. Sorry, I don't use WhatsApp so I can't help.

3. You can use iCloud, Yahoo, Outlook, any email service. You don't *have* to have a Gmail (aka Google ) account, but it's very useful, and highly recommended even if you never use it for email. Good for backup/restore of contacts, calendars, apps, etc. Also allows access to the Google Play store, 15GB free storage on Google Drive and much more. If you don't register your phone with a Google account later on you'll wish you had.

4. Customize it a lot more than an iPhone! A lot more, and without rooting (,jail breaking) required.

DO NOT install any RAM or memory cleaners/optimizers/task killers/managers etc.

Don't worry about closing apps, clearing caches, RAM memory usage or system processes. Android is very good at handling all that for you automatically.

Just relax, let Android do its job and enjoy your phone.

Upvote 0
I've used iPhones for years but this week I changed to an LG G5.

Everything is now set up on the new phone, except for one thing. I can't set up my iCloud email account. Has ANYONE managed it? If so, what's the secret?

Needless to say, I've followed all the instructions to the word, so I don't need any help in that regard. I've already set up my POP email accounts, but I've just having trouble with the IMAP iCloud email.

The error message is 'Wrong sign-in info. Try again' although the username and password are correct.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones