• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New android user

bruce671

Lurker
Dec 21, 2012
Hi everyone this is my first time posting on the forums and i just got my first android phone (razr hd xt925). I had a blackberry before and the OS is completely different and it is kind of similar to my ipad. So i have a few questions.
1. Is their only one place to get apps, the google store? And i downloaded a game but said i need flash player for it, is their any way to get it since its not on the google store?
2. My preloaded email app is terrible, its called "Email". It only loads my emails i got before July 7th and won't recognize any new ones. The preloaded gmail account works fine though, but i have a hotmail and gmail i use and id like to have them both in one app like on my ipad.
3. Do i need my preloaded bloatware from fido? whenever i click on them it just links me to a site to buy games/music/wallpapers/etc. The only one i think is worth keeping is the one that links to my account.
4. And do i have to be careful with what sites i visit and what i download or is android pretty secure.

Thanks for any help and advice.

edit:
5. Is there any way to find out what applications are still running and close them, similar to double tapping the home button on the ipad.

1. Google Play and Amazon are the main app sites. There's others, but be careful. Adobe is no longer supporting flash for any mobile devices, not just Android, and so it is no longer is available in the Play store. However, the flash .apk package is still downloadable from the Adobe website for installation.

2. There are several good alternative email clients both free and paid. K9, Aquamail, Maildroid, etc. My favorite is Enhanced Email, I use it for all our accounts.

3. If you don't like bloatware, don't use it. Ignoring it works well.

4. Don't worry about websites, only about what you download and install. Android IS pretty secure, but not idiot-proof.

5. Android handles running processes automatically very effectively with no help, closing processes as needed for you. Just relax and enjoy using your phone.

Reactions: bruce671
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones