• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New DROID Commercial

I dig the commercial, but it makes me wonder (as does all the Droid marketing) why Verizon's cutting out such a niche market for the device.

Looks to me like they basically see the Droid as a stopgap--a way to get VZW's name into the "app phone" game, and a great excuse to take some potshots at AT&T, maybe slow down their market gains. Verizon keeps saying that Droid beats up on the iPhone (and it does, in my opinion!), but it doesn't seem like Seidenberg et al. has big-time hopes for the phone itself.

The campaign is about Verizon, not Droid--when your phone's commercials are machismo-driven sci-fi mashups that mock the competition, then you've admitted that you're not pushing an iPhone-killer or anything like it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones