• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New EVO Owners: Please Report Your Build Quality

I'm wondering when or if we will see a HW 0004 revision? Perhaps with the new white BB model? July 11 is right around the corner so I guess we may soon find out. Even though some reports are showing the 0003's are definitely getting better, I'm forever hopeful that the 0004 finally takes care of all the issues. I really want this phone bad. Thanks for all the great posts everyone!

Upvote 0
I got mine on day one and my hardware is 0002. Have had no problems with it at all.
^^^same for me

I think I have a slight bit of power button sinkage and (with the screen facing down) the upper right corner of the battery cover doesnt sit down as far as it should... but to be honest, I cant recall if it ever did since ive had it lol... I just noticed it one day lol....

Upvote 0
There is my build quality.

CIMG1861400x410.jpg

Upvote 0
Returned my launch day phone on 6/16 due to glass separation. New phone is HW003, has some minor (so far) light leakage under the buttons. Probably going to hold out for a white version before replacing again.

If you want the white one I would guess you need to return the phone completely by the 30 day mark and get on a waiting list. Otherwise after 30 days I would imagine they either send it in for repair and replace yours with a refurb. I doubt they will just give you a new white one.

As for my build quality: Hardware ver. 2:

1. no screen seperation, no light leakage.
2. Power button is not sinking as far as I can tell
3. The front speaker on the phone vibrates at 100% volume. One tick down it vibrates far less frequently, 2 ticks down and its fine.

Not a deal breaker for me yet.

Upvote 0
There is my build quality.

CIMG1861400x410.jpg

Have you been able to compare the display quality vs another one? I've been reading that there are some variations on the quality of the display itself with some being very vibrant and sharp while others appear washed out and noticeably dull.

I really wonder if the grounding/separation/display quality are all related.

Upvote 0
HW Version 002

I'm going to have my Evo replaced soon due to dust under the screen (had it on my iPhone; something I will not abide).

I had two random reboots yesterday while playing Robot Defense (I think Handcent SMS caused it...), and Handcent seems to cause my music app to crash every time I get a text while listening to music.

I haven't had any other issues. My battery life issue has been resolved thanks to some tweaking on my part -- I regularly get 22-26 hours of battery life with moderate to heavy usage.

I'll post when I get a replacement (however long that will take).

Upvote 0
Have you been able to compare the display quality vs another one? I've been reading that there are some variations on the quality of the display itself with some being very vibrant and sharp while others appear washed out and noticeably dull.

I really wonder if the grounding/separation/display quality are all related.

Display quality seems right on par with other EVO's I have seen. Im pretty sure the bad grounding and screen separation are unrelated.

Upvote 0
Well guys I returned my EVO today at Radio Shack. They have been out for over a week and will be out for quite awhile. So I exchanged it for this POS

CIMG1865450x300.jpg

They put the rest of the money on a gift card and will call me as soon as they get more EVO's in. Then I will exchange this POS for a new and hopefully non defective EVO.:) My EVO got so bad that the top half of the screen would not respond to the touch :eek:. I couldnt slide down the window shade. They told me if I outright returned it that I could lose my upgrade eligibility through them, not through sprint but through them. I dont know it my be BS so they wouldnt lose a sale.:rolleyes: But at least I have a phone for now untill they get more EVO's in stock. I just hope they get some quick cuz I cant stand this POS.:mad: Well that person that got another one shipped over night well lucky you. HTC told me Id had to wait till my 30 days were up with RS in order for them to even do something for me. I guess they just give preferential treatment to some people. All I know is that I want my EVO and I want it now!!:mad::(:mad::(

Upvote 0
Going to Best Buy right now to pick up a new Evo. Exchanging and going to be on my 3rd Evo since the 4th. Best Buy told me to go ahead and bring it in now b/c if the screen lifts off the bezel too much they might not exchange it b/c "it could have been me that damaged it" she said. Might as well take it in since I have light leak and see what I get, but will definitely see the hardware version be4 I walk out with it :) I'll report back.

Update: well I picked up my new Evo...nothing better than my last. This one was made 6/4/2010 vs my last one being made 5/26/2010. Even more light leak at the bottom, still HW 003, and I'll be damned if I didn't get another novatec screen! (the one you can't remove the 30 fps cap from as of now) blah...oh well...I can exchange all the way up until July 4 so you better believe I will go back again in a week :)

Upvote 0
Well guys I am happy to say that after bothering HTC they finally conceded and overnighted me my 3rd EVO. WITH NO DEFECTS. The even threw in a free silicone case for my troubles. :D:D:D They gave me a box to ship back the defect which I happily shipped this morning. Im glad cuz RS is still sold out and who knows when they will be getting more. For all you people having the same issue as me. Just keep bugging HTC and they will concede. Good Luck!!!!

CIMG1868450x300.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones