• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New google maps update **Fixed my GPS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Open the the android market app>click the lighted menu button on the lower left of the phone>click downloads> this will show you what apps you currently have and if any updates for them are available. Google maps just had an update the other day.

I have the Samsung Captivate, and it I do the, chep for updates the app maps does not show on the list.

Please help.

Robert.

Upvote 0
Ok, and you DID hit the menu button when you are in the Market and you DID tap downloads on the little menu that pops up, and see a list of all your apps? And G-maps isnt there?

Yes I'm telling you i did all of that. on the list only apears the app I downloades form the market and since the "maps" app was pre charged it does not show on the list.

Please Help.

Upvote 0
Yes I'm telling you i did all of that. on the list only apears the app I downloades form the market and since the "maps" app was pre charged it does not show on the list.

Please Help.

OK.. Just checking, because mine DOES show up in that list.

Lets try a different method:
Open the android market
Tap the search button on the top right of the screen.
Type is Google Maps in the search and hit go.

I JUST DID THIS and got 571 results.
The top app is google maps. I just did the update a few days ago so mine just says "Installed". If you have an update, it will say update available. If there is not an update it will just say, "Installed" like mine does.

Upvote 0
No I haven't, I serched Google Maps on the market and first it finds 439 results, and the first app is "MyDirections-google" y have serched the 493 results and nothing.

Please Help.

Here:

chart

Don't know what to do with that? Click here:
QR Codes - CapFAQ

Upvote 0
Hy there, I have a QR code scanner and it redirect me to the market buy it does not find the aplication.

it sais that the the market has not found a match.

Pleae Help,

There's definitely something messed up on your phone then that's blocking some market apps. That's definitely the correct code and I tested it and it works.

Upvote 0
I hope that this was not what fixed my phone, because I am running 2.2 and did install the update for google maps as soon as I installed froyo. My GPS would not lock period, I thought i got lucky on a hack before i installed 2.2 but it was a temporary thing that for the most part worked one time. Prior to that my GPS hadn't locked since about a week after I got the phone in July. Now, running Froyo leak with the maps update GPS is PERFECT, guess the only thing to see now is how long it lasts.:eek: Imagine that samsung just had something tweaked that was not mixing well with a google setting:eek:

Upvote 0
The Rogers Canada captivate will release in a few weeks, GPS testing worked flawlessly. Basically, it seems to be a hardware issue, or location of the gps on the phone. Seems like the US ppl got screwed. Even Bell Canada version wasn't corrected. The rogers version has been delayed numerous times so Im hoping all is good now.

Upvote 0
The Rogers Canada captivate will release in a few weeks, GPS testing worked flawlessly. Basically, it seems to be a hardware issue, or location of the gps on the phone. Seems like the US ppl got screwed. Even Bell Canada version wasn't corrected. The rogers version has been delayed numerous times so Im hoping all is good now.

And you work for Samsung in what capacity?

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Vibrant.
My GPS has almost never worked. Even the GPS Restore/Fix provided by Samsung did not work.
I updated to the new Google Maps (5.0) about an hour ago.
GPS locked instantaneously.
I restarted, shut off the GPS, and tried all sorts of other things to mess up the GPS but my GPS still worked.
I even tried this with other apps (Foursquare, Tricorder, Lookout Mobile, etc.).
It works even after I shut it off, restart it, etc.
It works.

Upvote 0
In Google Navigation mine locks quickly but the signal comes in and out for a few minutes then locks solidly and works fine from there on out. It's perfectly acceptable for turn-by-turn directions even though it'll occassionally have me in a lake or on a service road next to the highway I am actually on (my TomTom used to put me on side roads all the time too). It's good enough to the point of me leaving my stand-alone GPS behind. My friend has an iPhone that is contantly about a block behind its actual position so it could be worse.

Upvote 0
This is an older thread referring to an earlier generation of Google maps and was active before the Samsung GPS fix thingy that came out recently.

I think between these two threads:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/238505-google-maps-5-out.html

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/187594-all-things-gps.html

People know where to look for this ongoing discussion.

I'm going to lock this thread based on that.

Please PM me if you want your recent (since 12/16) post moved over to one of those - or PM me if you think I'm wrong, and I'll consider your points of view in choosing this thread.

We don't like talking about mod changes in public, prefer PM only, because otherwise it doubles our cleanup workload - thanks in advance.

People are questioning what looks like heavy-handed thread consolidation.

It's simple - our record traffic day here at AndroidForums.com was when the Evo got the official OTA for Froyo.

Samsung says you guys are close - we're just looking out for your upcoming posting interests.

Thanks for your cooperation in advance!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones