• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ****NEW OTA 4.67.651.3 is out DO NOT ACCEPT IT****

This is another reason why I use an AOSP rom, they don't have OTA updating options thus eliminating the temptation to update unless you want to go through the trouble of flashing a Sense-based rom.

A lot of the HTC Sense based ROMs have the OTA updating feature turned off. You can also disable it yourself in the Software Update area of Settings. :)

That should eliminate any worry that you could update your handset on purpose or accidentally. Haha. :D

Upvote 0
Also, thought folks over here might find this post from the mikmik interesting regarding what this update can mean for some roms:

http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?p=173292

That new OTA had more than just a new kernel, radios & PRL. It upgraded the Android version to 2.3.5.

That's big because one of the issues with porting the Sense 3.0 WVGA and Sense 3.5 ROMs were that those ROMs were 2.3.5, and without a 2.3.5 kernel (and perhaps even some framework stuff & libs), there were issues. I think this should get Connect to PC in the 3.5 ROMs working consistently, and it may even make the WVGA Sense 3.0 usable! I'm excited to see what Mik & Newt will be able to do with it.

Upvote 0
Okay, so HBOOT version changed. Root may be impossible, or is it?
If your have a non-rooted EVO and you are on 4.54.651.1 or below you can choose either option in Revolutionary and you will still gain S-OFF. I maybe be dumb enough to try this on the new 4.67.651.3 update for the sake of curiosity, maybe if it doesn't eat my phone and kill it I'll be fine, and we can continue rooting our phones, I'll bring news of my findings.

Upvote 0
Also, thought folks over here might find this post from the mikmik interesting regarding what this update can mean for some roms:

Sprint rolling out OTA updates for EVO 4G, Epic 4G, EVO Design 4G - Page 3
Thanks for the mention :).

I think the key lies in the ramdisk, which is part of the boot.img. I wish I knew how to apply that stuff to some of the current ROMs, but unfortunately my knowledge is limited. I'm sure the devs & cooks will know what to do with the update ;).

Upvote 0
Okay, so HBOOT version changed. Root may be impossible, or is it?
If your have a non-rooted EVO and you are on 4.54.651.1 or below you can choose either option in Revolutionary and you will still gain S-OFF. I maybe be dumb enough to try this on the new 4.67.651.3 update for the sake of curiosity, maybe if it doesn't eat my phone and kill it I'll be fine, and we can continue rooting our phones, I'll bring news of my findings.

please let us know if you try it! By a bit of unfortunate luck, HTC gave me a new EVO today after they apparently lost my volume button (not the rocker switch but the actual internal button) while they were replacing my screen for me.

I wasn't thinking (mainly because I found a youtube video that seemed to suggest the rooting method was already in existance for 2.3.5) and updated everything , then planned to root it tonight. Now I'm stuck with a crappy un-rooted phone again :-(

Upvote 0
please let us know if you try it! By a bit of unfortunate luck, HTC gave me a new EVO today after they apparently lost my volume button (not the rocker switch but the actual internal button) while they were replacing my screen for me.

I wasn't thinking (mainly because I found a youtube video that seemed to suggest the rooting method was already in existance for 2.3.5) and updated everything , then planned to root it tonight. Now I'm stuck with a crappy un-rooted phone again :-(

If we get added to HTC's bootloader unlock dev kit we wont have to worry about finding root methods anymore.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately the evo 4g. Is not on the list yet.also you will still have s-on.and it will water Mark the hboot.better to not accept the ota then do this method if and when they add the evo to the list.

+1

I wouldn't use this method to unlock your bootloader. Once you use this method, htc will Mark your phone as unlocked and it will be void of any warranty, period. Even if you have a hardware issue, and not a software problem your phone will be marked.

Best to wait until an exploit is found, then you're good to go. ;)

New radios and PRI, maybe I should update em now, been two or three ota's. :D

Upvote 0
Get an idea for it here:

Welcome to HTCdev

HTC basically provides the method for unlocking your h-boot

If you don't even have it yet it will likely not be running the newest update anyway. I think it usually takes about a month to start showing up on new phones.

Unfortunately the evo 4g. Is not on the list yet.also you will still have s-on.and it will water Mark the hboot.better to not accept the ota then do this method if and when they add the evo to the list.
Thanks for the link, very interesting stuff, I get it now.

The phone I bought is used so I doubt it will be updated to the newest OTA and I had not planned on doing it anyway, if the phone isnt rooted It will be first thing I am going to run either cm7 or decks gingerbread aosp Do you recommend updating the radio's using the ones the devs have put out? if it isnt that version already.

Upvote 0
Hi I updated my Evo 4g lat night and would like to root it. Any help will be appreciated.
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for future knowledge never accept an ota if you plan to root your phone. there is no root possible with the new ota because the ota changed you hboot and closed the exploit that revolutionary used. now you will have to use HTC's method of unlocking your bootloader. unfortunately what this does is watermark your bootloader so that techs will be able to see that you rooted your phone. also going this route will void your warranty.

having that said here is the HTC method:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/488901-rooting-hboot-2-18-dummies-guide.html

Reactions: AdBaz1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones