• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New phone one the way, few questions

reinert012

Android Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2010
Got the good ol' silence bug and i am getting a refurbed phone in the mail on Thursday and I am definitely going to root it.

I have been reading these root forums for about 2 days trying to get a good picture in my head of what exactly it is, and i think i got it except for a few things.

1. How do i know what ROM to use and which is the best?
2. Will all the set CPU controls be on my eris once the file is installed?
3. Do i have to be on 1.5 or can i be on 2.1 OTA to do it?
3. How much battery power does it drain if i do the reccomended CPU speeds?

thanks in advance.

OK, I followed these instruction. http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html
The all-in-one script made it VERY easy. Didn't have to do anything complicated at all. (check out the extra add -ons... The replacement lockscreen is great!)
Althogh i am not positive if this would work if you're already on 2.1. Hopefully someone will chime in on that.

After you are rooted, then you can flash any rom you like.
I think most here would agree that 2 of the most stable and popular Roms are Evil Eris [ROM]-[5/9/2010] Evil Eris v2.0.1 (HTC Sense UI-Android 2.1)[Overclock and Apps2SD!] - xda-developers

and Ivan's Official 1.0 [ROM] Eris_Official 1.0 Alpha With Controllable Overclocking! [5/9/2010] - xda-developers

I would personally recommend staying away from the ones that are too flashy... Seems the more they add to them, the more bugs they seem to have. At least that has been my experience using some of these roms.
They do look cool though!!!

I'm using Ivan's right now because it is pretty much stock. Nothing fancy. But works great. The thing I hated most about the eris was the dialer lag.... but now it's a thing of the past with this rom.

Upvote 0
i have been a rooter for a while now and i have tried out pretty much every eris ROM and i would have to say that the IC3 rom is my favorite because it is so crazy fast and overclocks up to 787 mhz. (i also don't like sense that much so it was great for me)

if you need a nexus one type launcher just run the IC3 rom with ADW launcher.

here is the link for IC3: [ROM]-[5/30/10] Ic3Rom v2.7 [Overclocked - Apps2SD - Fast - Fixed MMS] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
You can be on 2.1 OTA and root from there - I just did it this afternoon, and it worked just fine. I am using Ivan's for right now. I may look at another ROM in a few days, just to see the difference.

One of the best things about rooting is that you can do a Nandroid backup, then wipe and try a new ROM, and then if you don't like it you can restore your backup and it puts everything back right where it was. I've been able to use that method to switch back and forth between eris_official and whitewidow without having to redo all my settings each time.

Upvote 0
One of the best things about rooting is that you can do a Nandroid backup, then wipe and try a new ROM, and then if you don't like it you can restore your backup and it puts everything back right where it was. I've been able to use that method to switch back and forth between eris_official and whitewidow without having to redo all my settings each time.

+1 the best part is if you mess up like forget to wipe something and you mess up, you can always reset. I found that out and was really happy to find smart people make these programs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones