• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Text ringtones are actually set as notification alerts, if you are adding a new one make sure you save it as a notification. I add my ringtones & notifications with ringdroid, available on the market place.

If you are wanting different text ringtones for different contacts it can't be done with the stock sms. Stupid I know, but you'll have to go grab an app to manage your texts to do that.

Upvote 0
Edit: ^^ You beat me to it

If you don't want to use an additional app to change the notification sound what I did was on my SDcard I made the folder: /media/audio/notifications and add whatever mp3's I want to use for texts, email, calendar etc in there. Then each app like messaging, gmail, email, calendar, google talk, etc you can go to that apps settings and choose those notifications.

Also, If you want to make a phone ringtone the folder on the sdcard would be: /media/audio/ringtones

And for the alarms: /media/audio/alarms

Technically you could just make a folder called notifications, or ringtones, but I like to keep things neat.

Reactions: Drogyn
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones