• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android, 3 questions/concerns...

Hello everyone,

I am brand spanking new to Android. I've followed news on the OS for some time but I still don't know enough to make the switch. I'll soon be free of the clutches of my current providers contract and I am looking at a Nexus One or waiting for the Dell Mini 5. There were just a few things I wanted to know before I make the switch and the only reason I ask is because I flat out don't know or just couldn't find a clear answer. So simply, this is what I wanted to know about the Android OS:

1) WiFi Hotspot - Is it possible with some type of app to turn the phone into a mobile hotspot? To allow other devices like my laptop to use it's connection to access the internet.

2) VOIP - So can I use some type of service like Skype? (or similar, feel free to recommend)

3) Productivity suites - Probably the biggest point for me since I'm constantly using Microsoft Word, Excel & Powerpoint. Although powerpoint isn't a big deal, Word and Excel are so is there some type of app that allows the creation and export ability of Word & Excel files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones