• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to Android - Need some S5 help here please!!

GeoRock

Lurker
Nov 22, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am new to android and the S5, but I am quite tech savy and have been doing a ton of reading before posting this question (I'm a long time blackberry user, don't hate me - I might buy the Priv so I'm on my way over :)

Long story short, I convinced my gf to break free of Apple and I bought an unlocked S5 off ebay for her. The problem is, the phone has a bunch of Chinese settings that are driving her crazy and causing problems. Chiefly, the APN settings continue to return to the chinese carrier, and I constantly have to go back in and change it to Telus, our canadian provider (I've even applied the default codes to the telus APN to no avail). Thus, the phone drops its data connection everytime it switches to the chinese APN. I have tried deleting the chinese APN settings but they immediately return to the phone. Also, I have come across other chinese items in the phone, so ideally I would prefer to just remove all of this.

The phone also shows no updates to go beyond KitKat 4.4.2.

Here is all the relevant device info:

Samsung Galaxy S5
Phone Model: SM-G900P
Country of Origin: (blank)
Product Code: Not Active
Original CSC Code: CHN
Firmwares CSC Code: TGY
Active CSC code: CHN/TGY
CSC Country: USA/CN
Mobile Operator: Telus
Bootloader version: G900PVPU1AND2
PDA version: G900PVPU1AND2
CSC Version G900PSPT1AND2
Baseband Version: G900PVPU1AND2
Root Existence: Yes
Android Version: 4.4.2
Build Date: Sat Apr 5 20:26:10 KST 2014

So, I see that we have a rooted Sprint phone, not sure how this came out of Hong Kong but whatever. What are my options here? I guess the key questions are:

Should I update to Lollipop? If so, can someone please point me to the correct firmware?
Is there a way to ensure updates will be pushed to the phone so that I don't have to connect to a PC each time?
If you recommend staying on KitKat, is there a firmware I can reload to get rid of the chinese settings?
Would it just be easier to change the CSC info to that of Telus? If so, how do I do this and where can I find the codes?

I really appreciate the help, I know how much these forums can go towards helping others with the same problems, so thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I am new to android and the S5, but I am quite tech savy and have been doing a ton of reading before posting this question (I'm a long time blackberry user, don't hate me - I might buy the Priv so I'm on my way over :)

Long story short, I convinced my gf to break free of Apple and I bought an unlocked S5 off ebay for her. The problem is, the phone has a bunch of Chinese settings that are driving her crazy and causing problems. Chiefly, the APN settings continue to return to the chinese carrier, and I constantly have to go back in and change it to Telus, our canadian provider (I've even applied the default codes to the telus APN to no avail). Thus, the phone drops its data connection everytime it switches to the chinese APN. I have tried deleting the chinese APN settings but they immediately return to the phone. Also, I have come across other chinese items in the phone, so ideally I would prefer to just remove all of this.

The phone also shows no updates to go beyond KitKat 4.4.2.

Here is all the relevant device info:

Samsung Galaxy S5
Phone Model: SM-G900P
Country of Origin: (blank)
Product Code: Not Active
Original CSC Code: CHN
Firmwares CSC Code: TGY
Active CSC code: CHN/TGY
CSC Country: USA/CN
Mobile Operator: Telus
Bootloader version: G900PVPU1AND2
Baseband Version: G900PVPU1AND2
Root Existence: Yes
Android Version: 4.4.2
Build Date: Sat Apr 5 20:26:10 KST 2014

So, I see that we have a rooted Sprint phone, not sure how this came out of Hong Kong but whatever. What are my options here? I guess the key questions are:

Should I update to Lollipop? If so, can someone please point me to the correct firmware?
Is there a way to ensure updates will be pushed to the phone so that I don't have to connect to a PC each time?
If you recommend staying on KitKat, is there a firmware I can reload to get rid of the chinese settings?
Would it just be easier to change the CSC info to that of Telus? If so, how do I do this and where can I find the codes?

I really appreciate the help, I know how much these forums can go towards helping others with the same problems, so thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to Android Forums GeoRock :)

Wow! You have a mongrel of a phone there!

You should read my reply in conjunction with, 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Lets run through it...

(Allegedly) Phone Model: SM-G900P = The minority carrier branded model for Sprint/Boost/etc; in the USA on CDMA network

Original CSC Code: CHN = China

Firmwares CSC Code: TGY = Hong Kong

Bootloader version: G900PVPU1AND2 = Sprint bootloader for KitKat

Baseband Version: G900PVPU1AND2 = all consistent with the above for Sprint on the CDMA network.

Where do I begin?

It looks as though this was either a Sprint, etc; model, G900P, that had a Chinese/Hong Kong firmware flashed to it and then flashed back... or a Chinese model, there are about 6, that has been rooted and had a customised Sprint firmware flashed to it.

Either way, it will never receive an update OTA, (Over The Air), or via Kies or Smart Switch as it has been modified. See, #1.11 of the aforementioned Dummies Guide.

My guess is that you will see that as it has been rooted, the Knox Security flag has been tripped. See #1.4 of Galaxy S5, Fake Clone or Genuine - Dummies Guide for how you can check your Knox Status and glean more information regarding this phone.

Before you can attempt to update this phone, you will first of all need to determine, without a doubt, which model of phone you have, to begin with. If it turns out to be a Chinese model that has been adapted, you would have to flash the stock Chinese firmware for the model, CSC and Product codes, to it and this in itself can cause problems with your ability to use Google Play Store and connect to the Telus network, (possibly why it was modified in the first place). On the other hand, if it is a Sprint model and stock Sprint CDMA firmware is flashed to it, this in turn can cause issues with your Telus GSM network on 2G & 4G/LTE. See, Will My Phone Work? to determine which models of Galaxy S5 will work on the Telus network.

See, also... CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Thank you ironass for your reply! It is much appreciated!

I do believe the phone is genuine, and I'll check the Knox status when I can. It was purchased from a reputable dealer and I didn't pay $117 for it (LOL). I will have to check the Phone Info app again when my gf gets home, but can you tell me what exactly I should be looking for to find the exact model number?

There is no issue connecting to the Telus network, popped the SIM card in and the phone runs fine on HSPA+, I knew it would not connect to their LTE network when I bought it, which wasn't a big deal for me as HSPA+ was good enough. Definitely not on a CDMA network .

The main issue is that for some reason, the APN settings sometimes trip back to the chinese carrier. This is the biggest annoyance currently.

I am quite certain the phone is genuine, but I have no idea if it would be a chinese model or not. Assuming it is genuine, will flashing to the Lollipop firmware be problematic?

Thank you again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I, too, believe it is genuine. However, it has been rooted and heavily modified to get to the phone you have now and operating as it does now. Whilst, in its present form, it can never be updated, it is sometimes better to stick with what you have as reverting it to its original firmware may mean it is no longer suitable for your purpose.

To give you an idea of how difficult it is, see another thread with a similar problem... Why can't I update my S5 from KitKat to Android Lollipop ? Most helpful in the end, from my point of view, was post #18.

Once the correct model is ascertained, then flashing the stock firmware is straightforward as per the instructions and video in the links of #1.11 of the 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, mentioned in my previous post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm, I see what you are saying, essentially the seller may have set it up this way to sell to international buyers...tricky.

I really appreciate the response, just a few more questions:
If I run a backup, will I be able to restore to the original settings should the update not work?
If flashing the firmware works, will this then allow for OTA updates or is this just never going to happen?
Can you explain the difference between the BST and XAS firmware?

I can live with staying on KitKat for the time being, but eventually going to Lollipop will be nice.

Any suggestions on how to delete the default APN setting and force my telus network to default? Really the most frustrating thing is having to go back in a check off the Telus APN every time it defaults back to the chinese one.

Upvote 0
Also, here is what the inside sticker looks like:

Attachments

• IMG_20151122_152808_crop.jpg
    IMG_20151122_152808_crop.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
Hmm, I see what you are saying, essentially the seller may have set it up this way to sell to international buyers...tricky.

I really appreciate the response, just a few more questions:
If I run a backup, will I be able to restore to the original settings should the update not work?

Since you will be coming from a rooted, customized, ROM to a stock firmware, you will need to do a full backup/s as per #2.1 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide

If flashing the firmware works, will this then allow for OTA updates or is this just never going to happen?
Providing you use the correct firmware for your actual model of phone, CSC and Product codes, yes it will update OTA or via Kies.

Can you explain the difference between the BST and XAS firmware?

Those look like different region codes. Without the full firmware details I cannot say.

I can live with staying on KitKat for the time being, but eventually going to Lollipop will be nice.

Any suggestions on how to delete the default APN setting and force my telus network to default? Really the most frustrating thing is having to go back in a check off the Telus APN every time it defaults back to the chinese one.

That may resolve itself once we know what that battery sticker says and the correct firmware is flashed.

Post again, when you have those sticker details.

Upvote 0
Also, here is what the inside sticker looks like:

Only just noticed the photo.

Right, you have the CDMA model, G900P. There are 4 firmware releases for this model for Sprint, Boost and 2 other carriers that I cannot recall off-hand. It does not make any difference as to which firmware you flash as we cannot obtain the original product code. Therefore, there is only a 1 in 4 chance that you will get the correct one for updates OTA, etc; unless you install Phone Info, mentioned in #1.8 of the 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, which, "may", show the correct Product code. Be advised, as I mentioned earlier, that flashing the stock firmware may prove, as per Will My Phone Work, incompatible with the Telus network although, after checking, I find that Telus is also a CDMA network, (until it shuts down next year, as I understand), and this may be why you are getting a signal.

Upvote 0
Only just noticed the photo.

Right, you have the CDMA model, G900P. There are 4 firmware releases for this model for Sprint, Boost and 2 other carriers that I cannot recall off-hand. It does not make any difference as to which firmware you flash as we cannot obtain the original product code. Therefore, there is only a 1 in 4 chance that you will get the correct one for updates OTA, etc; unless you install Phone Info, mentioned in #1.8 of the 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, which, "may", show the correct Product code. Be advised, as I mentioned earlier, that flashing the stock firmware may prove, as per Will My Phone Work, incompatible with the Telus network although, after checking, I find that Telus is also a CDMA network, (until it shuts down next year, as I understand), and this may be why you are getting a signal.

Thanks for all your help, it is very much appreciated!

Here's an update:

I called Telus, they informed me that they have already shut down their CDMA network for public access. Note that the G900P also supports HSPA+/UMTS at 850/900/1900/2100 MHz (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-G900PZKASPR-specs) and the Telus network also supports HSPA+ at 850/1900 MHz, thus the phone is connected to HSPA+ (3G) network (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA). So that's solved.

I also contacted the seller on eBay, he has sold over 800 of these, he informed me that the phones are new and were rooted to make them compatible for international use. I guess they must come out of China. Anyhow, I managed to delete the chinese APN and it doesn't seem to have anymore issues dropping the Telus network.

When I feel brave and up to it, I'll try and upgrade the firmware.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I called Telus, they informed me that they have already shut down thir CDMA network for public access. Note that the G900P also supports HSPA+/UMTS at 850/900/1900/2100 MHz (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-G900PZKASPR-specs) and the Telus network also supports HSPA+ at 850/1900 MHze, thus the phone is connected to HSPA+ (3G) network (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA). So that's solved.

That's interesting about the Telus CDMA network closing. No 4G then?

I also contacted the seller on eBay, he has sold over 800 of these, he informed me that the phones are new and were rooted to make them compatible for international use.

Should work on most 2G and 3G networks but not 4G/LTE.

I guess they must come out of China. Anyhow, I managed to delete the chinese APN and it doesn't seem to have anymore issues dropping the Telus network.

Good news!

When I feel brave and up to it, I'll try and upgrade the firmware.

If you upgrade the firmware you will lose root and any modifications that the seller has made.

Upvote 0
That's interesting about the Telus CDMA network closing. No 4G then?

They have 4G LTE, unfortunately the G900P phone supports LTE bands 25/26/41 and Telus LTE is band 4. Too bad.

If you upgrade the firmware you will lose root and any modifications that the seller has made.

Just to confirm, if I follow the backup instruction outlined that you linked to, I can always roll back to this firmware that was already installed?

Upvote 0
Just to confirm, if I follow the backup instruction outlined that you linked to, I can always roll back to this firmware that was already installed?

No. Those backups are for the user content on the phone. To do a full system image backup of everything, including the OS, you have to be rooted and do a nandroid backup using a custom recovery. Even if you do a nandroid backup, you will need to re-root the firmware and install a custom recovery before you can use the saved nandroid backup. Hence, my previous warning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones