• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to S2 little lost could use help.

Hey what's up man. Going fine. Yeah tw is pretty much guaranteed to run right and I usually did stay on a stock based ROM BC of it. But I didn't like our 4.3 update much. 4.3 just felt like a step back. After trying 4.4 though I'm in love. And I'm lucky enough that there aren't any bugs on on it. I see your still holding down the s2 forum helping everyone out. I check the threads every once and awhile

Upvote 0
Tiger just got rid of his warp huh.. Man it's been like 2 years since I ditched that thing. One thing they had was a great AF community. Other than that the phone itself was horrible. And I didn't even realize it until the s2 came out for boost and I was blown away. I made a nice little one stop in the stickies for ROMs. Kernels and recoveries and a few more things back when I was on the s2. It's probably a little out dated now but it still has allot of useful things that are relevant in it. I'm on the s4 with att now. And I too am running cm11. Kit kat is just amazing

Hey hey how's it going?!
Saw your sticky but as you said a bit outdated.
Wish I could have gotten newer phone but the S2 broke the bank for me so the S3 was out of the picture.
I still have the Warp setting here on my desk and check in on the forum for it. Loving my S2 tho.

I'm still rocking the S2, toying with the idea of CM11 but have gotten spoiled with constant smooth performance and data speed on the TW JB, so I am just playing the wait and see.

FYI CM11 is running like a top for me (on the 4.4 build still) only issue I've got is that custom ringtones (from sd/ringtones) won't stick but otherwise no issues at all. I've seen ppl saying GPS and MMS issues but it all works for me. I havnt tried Bluetooth yet (rarely ever use it tho).
Give it a go it's great.

Reactions: Kasey Clark
Upvote 0
Hey SelfElevated2, glad ta see you pop in with us lower end folks these days :).....how goes it?

I see your sporting a s4 now, good ta hear, glad the KK is going well....I've been seriously thinking about upgradeing to a s3, since the support is a lot more and the issues seem to be WAY less.....seems like this E4Gt is just a thorn in dev's side, as well as the users having the issues they do.

Glad ta see ya, been since what prevail and warp days we've been browsing in these forums heh....oh the memories :)

Seems like CJ, you and I are about the only ones left from the old prevail/warp phones.

Reactions: SelfElevated2
Upvote 0
Yeah man I check in a lot I just don't post unless I have something to say. everything phone wise is great but man its hard to keep up with having the best phone out. I got the s4 about a month b4 the note 3 came out. I love the s4 but I definitely would've went with the note.

as far as u getting the s3 I'd suggest going with T-Mobile prepaid if u have the money or can save the money to. Because you can get the newest phone out and not pay for it up front. 200 deposit and 20 a month after that for the phone. and they have a variety of data plans. 30. 50. 60. And 70 fully unlimited everything with no throttle . 70 is more than 50 on boost but the service is better and the phone will be top of the line. plus real lte speeds. Just something to think about.

I started with att and got the s4 under contract but was paying over 100 a month and was only getting 3.5 GB of lte. it was blazing fast about 40mbps but not worth it so I terminated early and unlocked the s4 so I could use it on tmo prepaid. wish I woulda just chose tmo first. att knocks tmo to sell because they have greater coverage across the country and a little faster lte but I don't go to the desert so I always have coverage lol. and the speeds are around 20- 30 mbps

oh I put CT mod on a friend's prevail and Goddamn I didn't realize how Small of a turd that phone was when I had it. it was all laggy. lol

Upvote 0
I say no to the s3 because it's actually really far behind now. you'll end up wanting to upgrade again so soon it'll be a waste. i remember when it came out it looked amazingly powerful compared to my s2 or warp. I can't remember which I had at the time

yzusejeh.jpg

Upvote 0
Yeah man I check in a lot I just don't post unless I have something to say. everything phone wise is great but man its hard to keep up with having the best phone out. I got the s4 about a month b4 the note 3 came out. I love the s4 but I definitely would've went with the note.

as far as u getting the s3 I'd suggest going with T-Mobile prepaid if u have the money or can save the money to. Because you can get the newest phone out and not pay for it up front. 200 deposit and 20 a month after that for the phone. and they have a variety of data plans. 30. 50. 60. And 70 fully unlimited everything with no throttle . 70 is more than 50 on boost but the service is better and the phone will be top of the line. plus real lte speeds. Just something to think about.

I started with att and got the s4 under contract but was paying over 100 a month and was only getting 3.5 GB of lte. it was blazing fast about 40mbps but not worth it so I terminated early and unlocked the s4 so I could use it on tmo prepaid. wish I woulda just chose tmo first. att knocks tmo to sell because they have greater coverage across the country and a little faster lte but I don't go to the desert so I always have coverage lol. and the speeds are around 20- 30 mbps

oh I put CT mod on a friend's prevail and Goddamn I didn't realize how Small of a turd that phone was when I had it. it was all laggy. lol

I wish I could use T-mobile, but their coverage in my area is no better than Sprint.

Upvote 0
Well that sucks. I definitely like they're plans. And they have good service where I live so I'm happy

I agree they do have some nice plans. Where I live the Carrier with the best coverage is Verizon, but their customer service stinks, and is the main reason I left them. AT&T has moderate coverage, though didn't care for their prepaid plans.

Reactions: SelfElevated2
Upvote 0
For me it's nto a matter of if their good carrier or not, it's the price point at this point and time with my limited income.
Boost mobile offers a $55 unlimited everything plan (of corse with the 2.1GB data limit) but still $55.

I was thinking about getting either the LG G2 or the N5, I really LOVE both phones and the N5 just well, looks I dunno VERY appealing to me looks wise.

Now while each phone is a good choice, the n5 camera lacks, but is no slouch, while the lg g2 is a phenominal camera, and also a blazeing fast processor, and 2gb internal ram, as well as a 32gb storage....both however (if I remember right) do not have expandable memory, but that I can deal with.

When I called Tmo they offered me the nexus at like $49 with excelent credit, and as I have very POOR to no credit history, I would end up paying around $250 for the phone and a bill of around $60 total with tax, not bad really, the $250 kinda hurts.

Sprint on the other hand offered me a bit of a better deal, it was similar, but was told I could go with another plan, which was raised approximatly $3 more on my monthly bill so the monthly cost would be $80 normal unlimited everything+$3 extra a month total of $83, about $20-$25 more on the plan as compared to Tmobile or boost, but......I was offered the n5 at $49, basically just paying the tax on the phone, and the rest would be $3 more on the monthly plan.

So given I have a limited income (approximately $800 a mo) and very little in pocket (about $120 right now, but will have up to about $250 by payday this Friday I think), so I have the following choices:

-I can go with tmo, have a similar monthly bill, with $250 out of pocket up front
-I can go with sprint and pay $49 out of pocket, and have a $20 more a monthly bill
and finally
-Pay for an s3 outright for $220-$240 on eBay....and this is for a new in box s3, not used, have the phone paid for and keep my existing billing cycle which will be $50 this month (not $55), and will eventually be $40 a mo.

So while I might have the latest and greatest of the phones, and awesome phones at that, both are nice choices, I'd go up in payment, and not down, and also be out of pocket the cash, this is why I lean towards the s3......if boost had the s4 I might even invest in that, but I doubt I would.

I am in contact with a dev (g_ding84) who made Touched by S4 rom (awesome rom I might add) and he said the s3 is still a solid choice and not a bad phone, albeit dated I agree, but still holds its own in a respectable manner.

I get where yer coming from SelfElevated2 but some factors prevent me from doing the upgrade in a way, unless you have an s4 lying around I can by for $250 :)

I hope that all made since, seems like it starts off good but ends up running on sentences, corse it may be due to I'm really tired right now

Upvote 0
Alpha2k I get t your thinking... Money is key in the end.
I'm disabled and get $x per month; so as much as I'd love to get the best that's out my budget says otherwise. I was barley able to pull off getting a certified pre-owned S2 from Boost with the black Friday weekend extra 30% off (about $136 shipped with tax) plus in still only paying $45 + tax a month.
Not to mention the S2 blows my old Warp out of the water.

Upvote 0
Yeah but that 250 or what ever you pay for the phone is the same with boost. You still gotta pay for the nice outdated boost phone you want. But T-Mobiles 50 dollar plan is the same as boost. Unlimited talk and text and 2.5gb of LTE which is actually better than boost. Then the 60 dollar plan is unlimited with like 5gb of full speed LTE and throttle afterward. And the 70 dollar unlimited is full unlimited talk text and LTE. I've used 50gb this month and no throttle. It's full unlimited. Plus you can switch phone as fast as you can switch sim cards.

I get what your saying no doubt. Sometimes money won't allow you to get what you want. But all in all boost is just as expensive. Shoot I played 380 for my s2 when it came out. Then gave it away when I got the s4. Only to find my boys girl dropped it and cracked the screen a month later. I could've just kept it. But 250 down for the best phones out isn't all that bad. I payed more for the s2 from boost than I did for my s4. Plus I have the option for cheaper plans I can switch to if I'm short

Upvote 0
Yeah but that 250 or what ever you pay for the phone is the same with boost. You still gotta pay for the nice outdated boost phone you want. But T-Mobiles 50 dollar plan is the same as boost. Unlimited talk and text and 2.5gb of LTE which is actually better than boost. Then the 60 dollar plan is unlimited with like 5gb of full speed LTE and throttle afterward. And the 70 dollar unlimited is full unlimited talk text and LTE. I've used 50gb this month and no throttle. It's full unlimited. Plus you can switch phone as fast as you can switch sim cards.

I get what your saying no doubt. Sometimes money won't allow you to get what you want. But all in all boost is just as expensive. Shoot I played 380 for my s2 when it came out. Then gave it away when I got the s4. Only to find my boys girl dropped it and cracked the screen a month later. I could've just kept it. But 250 down for the best phones out isn't all that bad. I payed more for the s2 from boost than I did for my s4. Plus I have the option for cheaper plans I can switch to if I'm short

True, but that 2 yr contract is what sits in my mind.....had I already been on a contract I would have been really screwed, because I had to get rid of my service for about 8-10 months and just got back up and runnin......at the time I had only a 25hr a week job and no other job in site.....so I was kinda glad I was on boost really, I just cancelled it and owe nothing.....had I been on tmo or sprint I would have owed about $300 right now for early termination.

I've only been up and running for about a month so I don't even have my vehicle licensed, good thing I carpool :).

Upvote 0
I signed a contract with att then canceled early because I was paying over $100 a month and it wasn't even unlimited. I use atts s4 on T-Mobile prepaid not contract. Those plans I was talking about aren't contract plans. Plus T-Mobile doesn't charge u full price for the phone. Its like 20 a month for the phone and then your plan cost. Wish I would've went to tmo originally. Just figured I'd clarify I wasn't talking about 2 year contracts. Im starting to feel like a sales rep. Maybe tmo should be giving me a discount lol. Any how just do what's best for you

Upvote 0
I will be sticking with what I have instead of switching to CM11 if I can't keep Boost from throttling me back whil I am on CM11.

Good Look!!

They will always be able to throttle you. Its controlled on there end.

If somehow an empty folder can stop throttling than in theory if that folders not there at all that would mean they couldn't throttle you either but they can either way.

Upvote 0
They will always be able to throttle you. Its controlled on there end.

If somehow an empty folder can stop throttling than in theory if that folders not there at all that would mean they couldn't throttle you either but they can either way.

No, I have done and can definitely confirm that they are NOT able to throttle my Data Speeds. I changed the permissions to read only so that Boost can no longer write to the throttle folder. They can read how much data I have used and then once I hit my limit they send an update to the files in the "throttle" folder. Because I have changed the permissions internally, the file update they send never gets written in the folder. therefore, not throttle back. It's quite like setting up a rule for your email to block a certain person from emailing you....it just bounces and never shows up in the inbox. same concept here.

Upvote 0
No, I have done and can definitely confirm that they are NOT able to throttle my Data Speeds. I changed the permissions to read only so that Boost can no longer write to the throttle folder. They can read how much data I have used and then once I hit my limit they send an update to the files in the "throttle" folder. Because I have changed the permissions internally, the file update they send never gets written in the folder. therefore, not throttle back. It's quite like setting up a rule for your email to block a certain person from emailing you....it just bounces and never shows up in the inbox. same concept here.

Something could be messed up in your account, giving you this advantage, so just smile and enjoy it.

Boost (or any carrier for that matter) does not have to send anything at all to throttle you. I have this ability on my router, and with it I can setup any device to have a speed limit, thus keeping that person from hogging the entire bandwidth. This is a simple thing really and I am quite sure carriers use this...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones