• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to S2 little lost could use help.

No, I have done and can definitely confirm that they are NOT able to throttle my Data Speeds. I changed the permissions to read only so that Boost can no longer write to the throttle folder. They can read how much data I have used and then once I hit my limit they send an update to the files in the "throttle" folder. Because I have changed the permissions internally, the file update they send never gets written in the folder. therefore, not throttle back. It's quite like setting up a rule for your email to block a certain person from emailing you....it just bounces and never shows up in the inbox. same concept here.

I have a friend who works for sprint and is tier 3, so he watches network traffic and controls things if the system goes down.

He has actually played a joke on me once and shut my phone completely off of service from a web hosting office we were at once, did it remotely, illegal yeah probably but we were friends, and I never even thought twice about it. I was about to call Sprint and complain and he persuaded me to check again.....it was on again......cruel and unusual, but sneaky one the less. At the time I wasn't to happy, but looking back it was kinda cool.

But I asked him about throttling, and he confirmed it is a carrier side, not a user side.....they control the switch and how much goes in and out, that's how they can shut your phone off, or reboot it etc.....it's all done from the office, aside from you putting in the info in the phone, IE: the numbers they need you to put in when turning it on. I had to turn on my s2 that way, I did it from my house, they said punch this number in and once you hit the last # or * it opens up that menu, once you put in the numbers or info it needs, they said ok hang on we're rebooting the phone, and sat there and watched it.

I asked my friend if there was ANY way to throttle back the carrier from restricting us the user from usage.....he said nope, they control pretty well all aspects on the carrier side.

I said ok what about those that are getting good speeds above their limit they are on, he said in the huge data base sometimes people slip through the holes or systems just don't catch it......so my guess is they missed you.....as CJ said sit back and enjoy the ride :).

I guess I'm not an avid web surfer or user of bandwidth, becasue I never haev reached my limit yet or gone over.....came close I think once, 1.8GB - 1.9GB I think it was, but that's it. Any surfing I do is on my pc at home, and wifi, and normally I have the phone set to wifi when at home too, so a lot of it is probably done via at home, or somone elses wifi, such as place of bussiness that ahs open wifi, etc...

Upvote 0
LOL, I picture CJ with a lappy on his lap, an xbox controller in his hand, 1 hand typing a message on the lappy the other using the controller playing games, cussing at the screen about how he got killed because he was typing on forums :).

Oh the laptop, phone, and tablet don't even exist when I am on the Xbox360 getting my Halo or borderlands 2 on... :p

Upvote 0
This billing cycle I've used 6.28gb total; 2.69gb on 3G and 3.59gb on WiFi.

My payment is the 24th of every month so I'll probably hit 6.5gb or so total this month.

I use my phone like crazy.

Lmao you think you use your phone alot?

uvujeny4.jpg

Upvote 0
#! do you have to flash hood pope cant i just odin el29 boot recovery flash cm11 reboot to recovery flash modem why r we flashing hood pope. dose cm11 not have recovery? trying to learn something here #!

never mind figured it out CM11 requires a newer recovery so new question
how would i know which kernel to use to flash a rom. all ops i have read just say use a safe kernel el29-el26 direct boot if i remember right #!

Upvote 0
#! do you have to flash hood pope cant i just odin el29 boot recovery flash cm11 reboot to recovery flash modem why r we flashing hood pope. dose cm11 not have recovery? trying to learn something here #!

never mind figured it out CM11 requires a newer recovery so new question
how would i know which kernel to use to flash a rom. all ops i have read just say use a safe kernel el29-el26 direct boot if i remember right #!

Most of the ROMs prior to CM11 would flash just fine using the el26 or EL29 recovery kernel. CM11 is just the newest thing out and was setup to flash on a newer recovery.

Upvote 0
So last night I finally decided to go ahead and update to Villuminati.
I got the EL29 kernel, the FL24 modem, Hood Pope and Villuminati.
I followed the instructions and everything went like a charm:
1)Flashed Modem
2)Flashed Kernel
- wiped twice / dalvic cache
3)Flashed Hood Pope
- wiped twice again / dalvic cache
- rebooted system and let it set
4)Flashed Villuminati
- wiped again / dalvic cache
- rebooted let it set

I then went back into recovery to flash the gapps that were listed in the XDA thread.
I got an error7 and it said that there was not enough room in the /system folder

I have several Gb left on internal storage and I am confused as to why it would not let me install the gapps

I then went back to Hood Pope and installed the appropriate gapps for that ROM and all is well but I would very much like to have some advice on how to get the gapps for 4.4.2 to install once I get the Villuminati ROM back on my phone.

Upvote 0
when they throttle you back, they actually WRITE a file into the throttle folder. If you the user with a rooted phone go to that folder and change the folder to READ only than they can send the signal to throttle you back 100 times if they want to and it just won't actually be written. If the file isn't written in the folder than the phone does not know that it can't use 4g anymore and will just continue to use the 4g signal.
I have used the instructions on the Throttle thread last October when I got my GS2. since then I have never once been throttled back and I use about 20Gb worth of data each month, just in downloads, not even counting streaming video, music and using fb, etc. all totaled I generally use between 30 and 50 Gb monthly all in 4g.

Upvote 0
when they throttle you back, they actually WRITE a file into the throttle folder. If you the user with a rooted phone go to that folder and change the folder to READ only than they can send the signal to throttle you back 100 times if they want to and it just won't actually be written. If the file isn't written in the folder than the phone does not know that it can't use 4g anymore and will just continue to use the 4g signal.
I have used the instructions on the Throttle thread last October when I got my GS2. since then I have never once been throttled back and I use about 20Gb worth of data each month, just in downloads, not even counting streaming video, music and using fb, etc. all totaled I generally use between 30 and 50 Gb monthly all in 4g.

Not true I have been throttled an it made no difference I've gone as far as to delete the dir and files then restore a non throttled nandriod back up and still had reduced data speeds even though I no longer had said files on device its not something u can stop from your device . its done on sprints side

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones