• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

fishypops

May 27, 2010
Got it yesterday.
I loved my Asus 1201HAB Netbook. Any comments I make on the TF have to be made with the netbook in mind.

Many of the comments are to do with tablets rather than the TF.

Instant reactions:

1.Well it is a tablet.
2. Don't find it heavy.
3. Can be a bit laggy in terms of browsing (some 30 second hangs).
4. Can't put it down on a table (without something under it) / balanced on the side of the bath.
5. Requires 2 hands - one the hold, one to browse. (Netbook = 1).

Overall, I like it though. I think that it does not replace a netbook. It is more of a companion (media/news) than a functioning netbook.

So, my instant kneejerk advice to anyone looking to 'replace' their netbook... think hard.

I think that touchscreens are very much 'the emperor's new clothes'; if someone invented the touchpad tomorrow, we would all say "Wow, so no need to move my hand across the screen.. no more difficulty in clicking on tiny links .... daa dee dah..

There you go... MY opinion... and it's a keeper. (even if just as a remote for my XBMC / Sonos)

p.s
(My single function Sonos controller cost $399 when I bought it).

Reactions: andoroido
fishypops, Very interesting posting. I am looking to buy TF for mostly media play and some tweaking/playing around. Though in a way, it will replace my old laptops that has since died out on me a while ago. For me, I don't think I will mind the shortcomings of the FT as a laptop/notebook, since I have no laptop to compare it to currently. Though, would you mind expanding on this [4] bullet point. Did you mean on the side of the battery and inside of balancing it, but to actually prop it up? Thanks for the information.

Upvote 0
I have had my tf for a week or so now and I have to agree that an android based unit is not a replacement for a laptop or netbook, too many things require work arounds that are just a pita, even simple things like chatting can drive you nuts, I can't find an app to chat from my tf to an atrix on att.

I really thought after using my incredible for a year that an android tablet would be the cats meow, I am starting to rethink that.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones