• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new update, zv5_07

If you are rooted and/or have custom recovery installed, do NOT install. At best, you will lose root. At worse, it will brick your phone. One person has been bricked, so no, it's not speculation, although it hasn't been determined if there was an error in the update or not.

Upvote 0
Yes please let me know. I personally think LG is being a pain in the a$$ everytime someone finds a way to root they roll out a new update disabling it. I took it because I thought it was 4.4.4.. Or maybe 5.0 Just 4.2.2 still.. Now I have to wait for a new method for exploiting root, silly me. Not to far from now Sprint VM BM pretty much every company announced android 5.0 for the LG volt which I was hoping got rid of the ugly LG Ui but probably not. Getting a moto G soon because LG can be such a pain.

Upvote 0
Not seeing this update on my Sprint Prepaid phone. Do I need to do something to see the update? Still seeing v4.
It probably just hasn't been pushed to your phone yet. Updates don't usually hit everyone all at once. First, that would be a huge hit on their servers. Second, if there was an issue, they would have a much bigger mess on their hands. I never got the zv4 update before I did the rooted update.

Upvote 0
I received the update this morning on my Sprint prepaid Volt, the file size was around 213MB phone is still on 4.4.2.

First a question: I assume this discussion is about an update for a NON-ROOTED Volt. Is this correct?

If the above is correct then I think I know why we should be getting this update (although I have not yet gotten it). I have Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 that has been running 4.4.2 Kit Kat since I bought it. According to the buzz on several forums that tablet is slated to get 5.x, Lollipop. But also according to the buzz there are several things that have to be updated within Kit Kat BEFORE it can be updated to Lollipop. A while ago my tablet received a large (around 200 MBytes) OTA update which installed without a problem. However the version was still 4.4.2. It seems that was the update to Kit Kat that's needed before going to Lollipop.

So I would surmise from the above post that this update may be the same pre-Lollipop update to Kit Kat as I got for my tablet. This also would imply (if all these assumptions are true) that we will be eventually be updated to Lollipop.

Gerry

Reactions: jmatherly411
Upvote 0
That's a nice theory. What was changed in the update you got on your tablet?

Hi bg4m3r,

From the user's point of view absolutely nothing!! People who seem to know said that all of the changes were internal changes to the OS. Kind of surprising since it was such a large download of about 200 MBytes which implies that the entire OS image was changed. But I can verify that there was nothing different that I could see. I think it was also supposed to fix some bugs but I had not experienced any of the reported bugs so I could not comment on that.

I should also note that my Sammy Tab Pro has still not updated to Lollipop but the rumors said it wouldn't happen until Jan or Feb.

Aside: I'm glad I found this forum and the specific section on the Volt. I always find forums like this extremely helpful!!

Gerry

P. S. Its around Noon on Wed and I still have not gotten that update!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones