• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new user questions...

Dadolo

Lurker
May 30, 2010
Hello to all...

As I'm a new Hero (and android) user I have few questions:

- can not connect to my wifi - my router is a d-link which is visible (with wep2) but when I try to connect the message "obtaining address" persist and then stops everything with no results. I have installed also wifi analyser which is not helping. Any possible solutions?

- how can I uninstall "stocks" and "peep" ?

- should the 3G be on all the time for mms send/receive?

- how do I make my hero change automatically the network (in state roaming)? instead manually

- how is hero working with 2.1. rom version?

- can you advise me for some android apps (possibly free): gps navigator and office editor

In 3G everything is workin fine so I'm satisfied with android :)

p.s. sorry, my english sucks

Hello to all...

As I'm a new Hero (and android) user I have few questions:

- can not connect to my wifi - my router is a d-link which is visible (with wep2) but when I try to connect the message "obtaining address" persist and then stops everything with no results. I have installed also wifi analyser which is not helping. Any possible solutions?

A few people have had this problem & I don't know how to fix it, but I have heard that some people had success by either getting a weaker or stronger signal. So, if the signal strength for wifi is showing full bars then try moving away to where you only get 1/2 bars. Or the other way around if you have 1/2 bars now.

- how can I uninstall "stocks" and "peep" ?

Not as far as I can tell. I would like to remove them too.

- should the 3G be on all the time for mms send/receive?

Not for mms. You need it for things like email. But you should note that whether you leave it on or not depends on your battery life & data limits. If your battery is not lasting long enough, turn it off when you don't need it.

- how do I make my hero change automatically the network (in state roaming)? instead manually

There should be an option to automatically connect to the preferred network. The preferred network is the one you pay the bill too. If you turn that off, it should automatically switch as needed.

- how is hero working with 2.1. rom version?

No idea, I don't have a Hero.

- can you advise me for some android apps (possibly free): gps navigator and office editor

Google maps has a navigator that apparently works quite well in areas that they have it available, but I'm not in one of those areas myself. I hear that there is some opensource option that works ok too, but I don't know any more than that.

andnav - Project Hosting on Google Code

As for office, there is nothing free other than using google docs from within the internet browser.

Documents To Go is probably the best product, but it's not free:
Documents To Go for Android Smartphones: Word and Excel on your Android Smartphone

In 3G everything is workin fine so I'm satisfied with android :)

p.s. sorry, my english sucks

Your english is not perfect, but it certainly doesn't suck.

Reactions: Dadolo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones