• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Xoom user. Need help.

Conzo427

May 23, 2011
I just bought xoom and have been playing with it for a few days and I can't figure out what I can do that I can't do on my phone besides playing a huge version of angry birds. There must be a purpose to this thing to justify the price. Anyone have some insight?

I just bought xoom and have been playing with it for a few days and I can't figure out what I can do that I can't do on my phone besides playing a huge version of angry birds. There must be a purpose to this thing to justify the price. Anyone have some insight?

With one post to your name this seems a bit troll like.

Do you always purchase things without having a purpose in mind?

Upvote 0

The part I highlighted says it, screen space. I got my first Android phone last Nov and my Xoom this month. Can I do all the same things on the phone? Yes, but its a lot nicer on the tablet. The Xoom has also replaced my laptop in everything except playing Civ V and working in Quicken.

Upvote 0
Well how are you to know what something is useful for without trying it? I had no idea how useful my phone was going to be before I started using it.

Fair enough. I apologize for assuming trolling.

I think someone said it already on the page, but screen size is probably one of the biggest things. The larger size opens up a lot of things that you can do on your phone but are a PITA.

Aside from the normal email and web surfing I would think that the more advanced News and networking widgets would be a big draw for most people who are in the market for a tablet. I for one am planning on storing a lot of PDF technical documents on mine so that I can take them with me and not have to open a laptop just to check one thing.

Another big function is going to be photo storage. With a cloud app like Picasa or Flickr you can easily display them, and I'm sure that in the future someone will put together a basic photo editing suite so that you can take a tablet into the field with you and either use the EyeFi cards or USB OTG to transfer pictures to it. If you're a serious photographer it's much easier to tell "if you got the shot" on the larger tablet when the 3" screen on the camera.

Upvote 0
I'm sure that in the future someone will put together a basic photo editing suite so that you can take a tablet into the field with you and either use the EyeFi cards or USB OTG to transfer pictures to it.

You already can, the new Eye-fi app has direct mode. I use it quite a bit for reviewing pics when I'm away from home, for the exact reason you said.

I use my tablet to replace my netbook. Web browsing, games, document editing, watching videos, reading books (mostly large scale color ones otherwise I use my e-ink Nook).

Upvote 0
I dumped my laptop in favor of my Xoom. I gave the laptop to my parents in exchange for their older desktop (which I promptly installed Linux on :)) I also purchased the dock and a BT keyboard. This does everything I need, with a lot more battery and portability. Google Docs allows me to do simple editing. Also, it is nice to have a full screen for web browsing/Youtube watching.

I can't complain about the Xoom, as it is doing what my expectations were from launch. Now I need to get some movies on this thing...

Upvote 0
do you work? do you study? what are you in to?.. i work.. and i think the email experience in the xoom is far superior than in the phone... i like to google thing while i watch tv.. a see a new series, a cute actree, a new phone, whatever, i just grab my tab and google it... i dont use the pc to check the forums, i do it on the tablet... theres one tv in my house.. sometimes im watching a game and my daughter want to watch cartoon.. i just give her the xoom and the tv is all mine =D

Upvote 0
OK, I am starting to see the value. I guess I am just looking for some killer apps to justify the cost. I will be primarily using it to run my business. We do use Google docs a lot in our organization, but I also use Quickbooks, Microsoft Publisher, Videospin, and Photoshop on the PC so replacing that with the Xoom is not quite doable.

Taking notes would be helpful. Any good note taking apps?

This thread has been very helpful, any other suggestions on how I can get the most out of the Xoom and make my life easier?

Upvote 0
If you aren't a paranoid tinfoil hat wearer like I am, Evernote might be for you. I am considering getting this app that allows you to open and eit OneNote files (I love that program.) I don't feel that the Xoom is an acceptable replacement for a laptop, but so much can be done one the go, it can be more attractive for some people due to its size and weight.

The Google Docs interface is getting better.

Upvote 0
1.Ebooks. I have a 1st Gen Amazon Kindle, but love the reading experience on the Xoom.
2. I used to grab my phone first thing after I wake up to check email and breaking news before crawling out of bed. Now I grab my Xoom. The larger screen means I don't even have to put on my glasses.
3. While we are still waiting for Netflix, Amazon Video on Demand works great in the browser. I get my weekly Doctor Who fix delivered on my Xoom.

Thanks to my Xoom, I really don't have a need for a PC anymore. Everything I did on the PC is now done on the Xoom or my Droid X when I'm out and about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones