• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

newbie questions

sig

Lurker
Aug 12, 2010
Hi all, just found this site and wishing to learn.

Nice thing is I just bought a smart phone, bad thing is I'm not a smart person:D

Seriously, phone is strictly for work. I'm an old guy (we didn't have computers in college when I went), but the phone came with almost no instructions (phone came in today).

Any chance can I store excel spread sheets on the phone as well as PDF files?

Will the phone notify you if you've gotten e-mail (currently, mine doesn't). Also, it seems that I can't pull up sent messages via e-mail from my end as well.

LOVE the phone to get into technical websites related to my industry (for my older eyes, love how you can enlarge the screen and speed you can access the web).

My old phone was the first Blackberry storm that came out, and for e-mail, it worked great and now that I'm on a new format, getting a little lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Any chance can I store excel spread sheets on the phone as well as PDF files?

Store them, yes. Read/edit them, yes but you need an app like Documents To Go.

Will the phone notify you if you've gotten e-mail (currently, mine doesn't).

Yes. If you use Gmail or exchange, you will get your email instantly to the phone. If you use another email type, the phone will poll the email server every X minutes. This can be set, but the shorter the increment the more battery is used.

LOVE the phone to get into technical websites related to my industry (for my older eyes, love how you can enlarge the screen and speed you can access the web).

Android can pretty much access any website out there. If it has flash, you will need android 2.2 to view it, and currently only the Nexus One, Evo, and Original Droid have it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones