• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newbie to rooting

TripsYou

Oct 13, 2010
Calera, AL
I am tired of waiting for Froyo from Samsung, like everyone else. I am wanting to go to the most STABLE Rom of Froyo. I would like it if someone would post recent or still up to date videos of how to root and what the best rom for me to go to is and how to do it. I know this is a lot to ask but I just thought, why not? Thanks for any input!

Everytime I try to root my phone. I try the one click root and I put the root.zip into my phone and renamed it "update.zip" nothing is working, it keeps saying no such directory and all that.

A couple things you can try, first make sure that you Mini SD card is removed from your cappy, also check how you renamed the 'root.zip' Make sure that when you renamed it you only entered "update" and not "update.zip". By entering "update.zip" you have basically changed the file name to "update.zip.zip" because the '.zip' is the file extension and not part of the name.

Upvote 0
Here are a couple threads on porting Sense to non-Sense devices. Looks like there hasnt been much head way as of yet.

Will Sense be able to be ported to Captivate? (Android Forums)

Here is a thread over on XDA about a port of Sense to non-Sense, there may be something developing here in the future. (It seems that this thread was locked because of a lack of a download. Seems it was just a lot of talk but not much in regards of a product.)

Reactions: Zman06
Upvote 0
Has anyone tried this ROM as of yet? And if so what do you think? I also was wondering where do I go to down Odin and since I haven't downloaded any ROM's to my phone yet do I have to do the "flash back to stock step"? [ROM][JPY2.2.1] Paragon RC1.1 - Beautiful, Blazing fast, Amazing battery life and GPS.

Upvote 0
If you have trouble getting Super One Click to work, download this:

http://theandroidsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/SGH-I897-Root-Update-1.zip

You can either download this from your browser of choice (with a download manager included within the app, of course) or you can download it on your computer.
Do not extract this .zip!

Place the file on the internal SD card, not in any folder.
On the phone itself, rename the file to "update"

Do not include the .zip extension in the name, as this will tend to screw your reinstall up, as exclamation_mark said above.

Turn off the phone. The next step is to reboot the phone into recovery mode.
There are numerous ways to do this, but I recommend trying the three button method first, as it's one of the most common and a useful thing to know, especially if your phone can't do it. I also recommend doing some reading over on XDA about potential bricks, rooting, and how to resolve them using this 3 button combo, or the download mode button combo, but that's at your discretion.

Anyways, to do this, hold both volume up and down buttons while holding the power button for about 10 seconds. The AT&T splash screen should appear, assuming you're rooting from a stock ROM. You can release the buttons after this.

This will bring you to a screen in which you will need to use the physical volume buttons to navigate up and down, and the power button to select.
Navigate down to "reinstall packages" and push the select (power) button.

What the phone will then do is install the update.zip file, and with it, root your phone.
When the phone reboots, it will look the exact same, but you will have a new app called Superuser Permissions. This app is a gateway app, which in turn, allows other apps root access.

Hope this method works for you!
If it does, wait before flashing anything!
READ, READ, AND READ!

Do some research on what flashing a ROM is, all of the various ones, what they can do, what they can't, and the potential consequences of flashing. Read up on what kernels and baseband modems are, and which ones are out there. Be careful, and come to the forums if you need help!

Right now, I'm running Cognition 3.02 and love it! By far the most stable version of 2.2 yet, with an unmodified kernel and no OC at that! Mainly due to being based off of the Roger's official 2.2 release, I recommend this one as a good start.

[ROM] ★ Cognition v3.02 ★ Video Review ★ Smoothest Stock Experience! - xda-developers

Reactions: Zman06
Upvote 0
Has anyone tried this ROM as of yet? And if so what do you think? I also was wondering where do I go to down Odin and since I haven't downloaded any ROM's to my phone yet do I have to do the "flash back to stock step"? [ROM][JPY2.2.1] Paragon RC1.1 - Beautiful, Blazing fast, Amazing battery life and GPS.

I am running Paragon RC3 and I really like it. Cognition 3.02 gave me my first sweet, sweet taste of flashing a ROM and after I soft bricked my phone (my fault) I flashed it again. I really liked Cognition 3.02, but I really wanted Bluetooth voice dialing and Paragon supports it.

I did have one issue with Paragon so far. I rebooted my phone and when everything was loading I got an error saying the system was unresponsive and asked if I wanted to Force Close or Wait. I chose wait, but after that I couldn't get the Bluetooth to connect or the GPS to come up at all. So I did a full power down and powered back up and everything has been working fine since.

It looks nice, works quickly, and overall seems to be pretty stable. GPS works great! I get a lock in my house in 15 seconds with wireless networks turned off. I haven't had a chance to test the accuracy in my car yet though. That is where my GPS usually underperforms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones