• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
agree with the above post.
here is my take
when: end of september
what: android 2.3.4 and sense 2.1

if i were you, and you are OK with, and know what rooting is, root now and get that right away.

Hehe remember the rumor that went flying around of a June release. I think they should of been more specific of the year :)
I do find it interesting phones that came out after the Thunderbolt got it or are in the process of getting it.

Thanks,
Bryan

Upvote 0
As of 2 weeks ago the GB build for the TB was in second phase testing at Verizon. Other than being up to date, I'm not sure why everyone is so anxious about GB to be honest. It looks exactly like froyo and it's highly unlikely we'll be updated to sense 2.1. In the history of HTC devices they've never OTA updated a version of sense once a phone was already released

Upvote 0
Hehe remember the rumor that went flying around of a June release. I think they should of been more specific of the year :)
I do find it interesting phones that came out after the Thunderbolt got it or are in the process of getting it.

Thanks,
Bryan

HTC is trying to make sure they don't release an update that is going to make angry customers more angry, GB will not be an update that people will notice very much on the TB. When Froyo came out and it was required to use flash. GB isn't required for any major apps/features that are out currently. With the sense bloatwareUI :) staying at 2.1 then you really will not notice any difference between your phone before and after the update, except maybe Verizon will add some more bloatware to give you less internal memory.

Oh yeah I forgot to add the only big change will be, you phone will be unrootable unless a new exploit is found, yeah great update.

Reactions: BAMARTIN03
Upvote 0
What is the big deal about Gingerbread?? Is it hype about when the update is coming? I had it on my rooted Incredible and it didn't change my life

GB includes a lot of "behind the scenes" changes, like better memory management. Everyone who is so stressed out about when the update will come has no idea what they're really waiting for, IMO. Your phone is going to look almost exactly like it does now except in "about phone" it will say Android 2.3

While being on the "latest and greatest" is very important to a lot of people (myself included) it's such a minuscule change it's not worth sweating

Reactions: trapperjohn
Upvote 0
HTC is trying to make sure they don't release an update that is going to make angry customers more angry, GB will not be an update that people will notice very much on the TB. When Froyo came out and it was required to use flash. GB isn't required for any major apps/features that are out currently. With the sense bloatwareUI :) staying at 2.1 then you really will not notice any difference between your phone before and after the update, except maybe Verizon will add some more bloatware to give you less internal memory.

Oh yeah I forgot to add the only big change will be, you phone will be unrootable unless a new exploit is found, yeah great update.

True just people hearing new version gets them in the mode of I want it.
I will say the memory enhancements are nice :)
Now I am just asking a question pertaining to the ota...
For people who are on the fence on rooting couldn't they say no to the update and see how the community is handling it as far as finally seeing there is no way to root then at that point root?
Thanks,
Bryan

Upvote 0
True just people hearing new version gets them in the mode of I want it.
I will say the memory enhancements are nice :)
Now I am just asking a question pertaining to the ota...
For people who are on the fence on rooting couldn't they say no to the update and see how the community is handling it as far as finally seeing there is no way to root then at that point root?
Thanks,
Bryan

You can reject the OTA yes and hope you don't accidently accept it at some point. If you do then there is no going back. You can root and then wait for a stock rooted rom to show up and you will be on HTC's GB but have all the perks of root access. I would suggest anyone who is on the fence should take the plunge before the OTA starts because one error in selecting to accept the OTA can make your phone always on stock firmware.

Reactions: trapperjohn
Upvote 0

You seem to know what you speak of. Would GB improve battery and possibly make TB faster and or smother?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones