• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

nexus 1 or htc incredible?!?!?

Not bloody likely. Stock Android 2.1 comes with .29 kernel, which can only make use of some 200-ish MB of memory. Newer kernels, like .32-.33, can access some 350 MB. Nearly a gig of RAM would be about as useful as duct-taping a dead fish to it, even if you root the thing.

Actually, the htc evo that's been announced has 1 gig of ram.

No it will not have 6.6gb of storage.

previous reviews for specs said that there would only be 256mb of ram
now march reviews are saying both 512 to ram and rom, so:

-512 RAM (320mb that you will get access to)
-512 ROM

Check out what's been confirmed in the incredible forum. Old reviews said that small of a space but the newer ones confirmed there will be more. You're looking at things from a long time ago.

Don't get pissed off that there are phones coming out with better specs than the N1. There's always a better spec'd phone every few months.

Upvote 0
Actually, the htc evo that's been announced has 1 gig of ram.

haha no offense but i dont think you know what you're saying in any of your posts. Evo has 1GB ROM and 512MB RAM and its quite ridiculous to think that the incredible will have 6.6GB ROM. why its not even in round numbers! :-D Storages normally go by 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc... which are multiples of the binary digit i think :p

Upvote 0
haha no offense but i dont think you know what you're saying in any of your posts. Evo has 1GB ROM and 512MB RAM and its quite ridiculous to think that the incredible will have 6.6GB ROM. why its not even in round numbers! :-D Storages normally go by 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc... which are multiples of the binary digit i think :p

It has 6.6 AVAILABLE rom. It has an 8. I also could have sworn the evo had 1gb of ram but I never looked that closely at it because 1. I don't want a LCD screen and 2. I don't want sprint.

Upvote 0
Well the debate between the Incredible and the N1 is something I thought a lot about last week, and here's what I decided.

The specs are very, very similar. The main differences are the camera, Sense UI, HTC v. Google support, and the space allocated for the installation of apps. What it came down to for me was this:

- I have a nice camera, and tend to use my phone's camera for silly picture messages anyways (and the quality of the images is decreased when doing that...), so there's really no need for an 8MP versus a 5MP camera for me.
- Sense UI can be rooted onto the N1.
- I strongly prefer Google's product support over HTC's. Partially because it's better, partially because I'm a Google fanboy and future employee. ;)
- App2SD fixes the small storage space for apps.
- Any other advantage offered by the Incredible is either matched by the N1 or outweighed by the positives of the N1.
I don't know what support you're referring to. You mean the initial failure of only email support or the current support where they pretty much redirect you to your carrier or HTC?

Upvote 0
I don't know what support you're referring to. You mean the initial failure of only email support or the current support where they pretty much redirect you to your carrier or HTC?
By support, I was largely referring to support for the product BEYOND technical problems (updates and such).

Technical support is lacking a bit, yes, but you can't honestly tell me it's any better than Verizon's.
EDIT: Also, the support system has been fixed, as you should know.

Upvote 0
Check out what's been confirmed in the incredible forum. Old reviews said that small of a space but the newer ones confirmed there will be more. You're looking at things from a long time ago.

Don't get pissed off that there are phones coming out with better specs than the N1. There's always a better spec'd phone every few months.
I wasn't looking at things from a long time ago, I was looking at things from yesterday.
Also, I never said I was pissed off about a better spec'd phone.
I don't want it anyway. I'm very pleased with my phone, and I'll be keeping it for quite a while.

Upvote 0

My point is that even if the Evo or the Incredible magically has 9898721 GB of RAM, it'll be able to use only 200 of it if it comes with the same version of 2.1 as is officially current, and only 300-something if it has an updated kernel. So the point of having 1 GB RAM eludes me. Maybe in 2.2 or Froyo, but that's likely months away (plus however long it takes to port Sense to the next version of Android).

Upvote 0
and the incredible is believed to have 8gb or ROM, maybe 6.6 available?

This info comes from the official incredible thread. Also on engadget I think.

Here is how I see it.

Nexus one has full 1ghz and full google support.
Incredible will have 768 (underclocked) but will have HTC sense.

Nexus can be easily rooted to give it sense
Incredible will likely be rooted to give access to CPU as well to go to full 1ghz.

I think it will come down to price. Getting the phone for 199 in store is better than 529 from google.

Especially since VZW doesn't have special plans for those providing their own phone (Like the t-mobile everything plus plan)

Upvote 0
By support, I was largely referring to support for the product BEYOND technical problems (updates and such).

Technical support is lacking a bit, yes, but you can't honestly tell me it's any better than Verizon's.
EDIT: Also, the support system has been fixed, as you should know.
Yes, I know they fixed it which is why I said "initial." But what Verizon can do is let you go to their store and swap out a defective phone for a new one while you'd have to either wait until Google gets enough refurb units to ship out to you or buy a new phone and have your ~$500 on hold before they recredit you back the money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones