• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 6 will work on all major US carriers

So it is possible to side load 5.1 and any other upgraded software? I'm assuming a root would be necessary.. I'm not that familiar with side loading...

Yes, assuming you can find the right OTA file. It your case, it would be just as easy to flash the factory image for 5.1 which gives you as fresh an install as possible. While you don't need to root to do that, you do need to unlock the bootloader. I've got detailed instructions on the process here if interested.

Upvote 0
You can activate it, yes.

It won't get updated to 5.1 (which the Verizon phones ship with) and it will show as an unrecognized device online. You can't change your plan if you want to, 'cause it's not recognized. If you have an employee discount or get $15-25 off for month to month that will drop (you would have to call each month to get it, if they will do it).

I've had my Nexus 6 on Verizon since November, and I still have my 20% Employer Discount. Never had any issues with it not being applied, so I'm not sure why others might be having a problem.

Also, I just flash updates it myself (I'm unlocked/rooted, running a stock ROM), so I've never had to deal with trying to get OTA updates. Not sure how that would work otherwise.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Got an unlocked Nexus 6 on Amazon. Verizon store says the IMEI won't activate. It comes up "device not found". Called Motorola and gave them the IMEI. They said it should work on VZ. I've since heard that the only IMEIs for the N6 that work on VZ are the ones purchased from ZV. Is this true? Am I forced to buy from Verizon? I thought there was a work-around for this problem. Amazon emailed me a return label. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm not sure. I think it would be best to activate a new Sim in the gnex but I can't guarantee that.
^^^^
THIS!
If you can,get the NanoSIM (What fits in the NEXUS6),obtain a SIM AdapterKit:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ode=45-45453787-2&WT.mc_id=US_datafeed_Google
You can get this exact kit just about anywhere on-line,this is just the 1st that popped-up on a Google Search
en-INTL-L-Noosy-Sim-Adapter-3in1-Kit-C9F-00257-mnco.jpg

Use the adapter needed for NANO to MICRO,activate & proceed as lunatic59 mentioned.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. But the only SIM card I have is in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and it is BIGGER than the one needed on the Nexus 6. VZ lady said it's to small to cut down to nano size. She said you would end up cutting the little circuit lines around the card.

I'm almost positive that a MICRO to NANO adapter & NANO SIM will work in your GALAXY NEXUS.
I'm not on VZW,but,I cannot imagine it'd be too difficult to get a new SIM Card.
Try another VZW outlet.

Many others have also went the card-cutting route w/o incident,seems like this particular rep is out in left field.
At minimum,go to another store.....................

Upvote 0
Many others have also went the card-cutting route w/o incident,seems like this particular rep is out in left field.
At minimum,go to another store.....................

This is what I did. I took my micro sim from my Galaxy S3 and used a template I found online to cut it down to nano sim size. Worked fine and after I popped it in my Nexus 6 it just took a minute to start and it's been smooth sailing ever since. It's really pretty easy if you're careful, but if you don't want to chance it you can buy sim card cutters from numerous online stores.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
So I went to Verizon today hoping that I just need to get a nano-sim and get going. Unfortunately, the IMEI doesn't match their list, and so they can't activate a sim card for me.

Browsing online, some people said that they just cut the sim, but the people at verizon said that it won't help because the IMEI won't be recognised.

Others said argue with the customer service folks...but I don't even know what to argue.

Honestly, I'm just waiting for a GoogleFi invite - but in teh meantime, anyone know what to say/do to get my Nexus 6 working on Verizon?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
You should be able to just cut the SIM, if you do it right it will work. They can activate it for you, you just have to have the right person do it. It won't be recognized, that's true, but it can be activated. It's much easier if you already have an active nano SIM to pop in but since you don't you are at the mercy of whomever you happen to get helping you.

Verizon will probably never recognize it so you're going to have a few issues with it. If you are getting the $15 or $25 per month savings on a More Everything plan off contract that will go away. I've read where it can be credited back with a phone call to CS but it won't be automatic. And who knows how long they will play the credit game. Also, you won't be able to make changes to your plan/account, at least on the My Verizon app. Maybe you can online, not sure about that really. You'd have to call CS and deal with them. Also also, updates won't come to you OTA directly from Verizon. You can side-load and/or root. All of that is moot though if you are not staying with them.

I really, really tried to like the Nexus 6 but it wasn't the phone for me. Even if it had been I'm not sure I would have jumped through all the friggin' hoops to make it play nice with Verizon. Of course it's much easier if you get a Verizon branded phone but that's not the whole point of the Nexus 6. Stupid Verizon, I hate them for so many reasons yet here I am with them.

Upvote 0
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I knew they were technically compatible since the hardware is identical, I just didn't know if Verizon had locked it so that no other carrier's sim would work. So in theory anyway all I'd need to do is remove the phone from my verizon account and pop the Fi SIM in, right? Or any other carrier for that matter?

*this forum is incredible, BTW. Found it today while looking for an answer to this question and since then I've been stuck to my screen learning things I never knew I could do on my S5

Upvote 0
Hey mike,

ASSuming you OWN the device (and not leasing it or on a monthly plan, etc.), for getting on fi, all you do is get the SIM they send and do some OTA's that are necessary to work on their system and boom.

for another carrier should be similar.

by the by, there is a fi discussion elsewhere on this site. go there for more info/discuss on the fi network:

http://androidforums.com/forums/project-fi.3116/

after 17 years with sprint, i left them to use the fi network. technically im still with them since fi uses t-mo and sprint networks...

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Maybe, maybe not. You would have to try it to make sure. All the IMEI numbers for non VZW phones begin with 35 and the VZW phones begin with 99. "Most" peeps have had luck using their existing account sim in the Nexus but it is indeed a crap shoot. Be aware that some VZW features will not work on a play store Nexus. According to VZW it will be a non supported device.
That is why you can not use a Nexus play store device without an existing VZW account. Without an existing account, you must have a VZW Nexus 6 with an IMEI number beginning with 99.

Reactions: vr4
Upvote 0
It is a great thing indeed that you have a Nexus 6 that works on VZW. However, VZW did not do a great job in my area for the longest time so I had no existing VZW sim at all. Was on AT&T. Therefore the Nexus 6 had to be a VZW version in order to work with a new sim. I even had a local store manager willing to use his sim to get things going but I refused to have a phone of that cost not being recognized by VZW as a compatible device. Oh well, like you said, if it is OK with you, all is well!

Reactions: vr4
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones