• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 6 will work on all major US carriers

T-Mobile makes it easier. If you have a nano SIM activated already just pop it in and done, nothing else required. If you need a SIM cut down or a new SIM it's free at a T-Mobile store. If you buy the Nexus 6 from T-Mobile it comes with a SIM.

To activate, call T-Mobile, do an online chat or do it at the store. About 5 min or less however you do it.

After activation everything just works regardless of where you bought the phone. Voicemail gets pushed, including full integration with Google Voice. No voicemail or account problems like you described. T-Mobile treats BYOD devices no different from those purchased from them.

At least Verizon is finally beginning to open up their network to BYOD - albeit kicking and screaming all the way, and only because of pressure from consumers and T-Mobile's Uncarrier initiatives.

Upvote 0
I have the original Moto X on Verizon more everything plan will I be able to just switch out the sim card from my X to the 6 and everything work. Today I want to use the 6 what if next week I want to carry the X can I switch back and fourth.

The original Moto X is a nano sim, right? If so, you can just pop it out of the Moto X, into the Nexus 6, boot it up and you're off and running. Later, you can do the opposite and it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Upvote 0
Your Galaxy Nexus card is too big for the Nexus 6. The N6 takes a nano SIM. If your SIM is more than 1-2 years old you should change it anyway to be sure to get maximum performance on the data network. Get a new one from Verizon.

Thanks a bunch, I'll skip the sim cutter and get a new one made. Haven't decided yet if it's gonna be a Nexus 6 or Droid Turbo, both are interesting phones.

Upvote 0
Motorola Nexus 6

The Wireless Devices Group Introduces the Nexus 6 to the Product Line-up!

The Nexus 6 will launch via the Web and Dfill on Thursday, March 12th, 2015!

The Nexus 6 will launch in all channels on Thursday, March 19th, 2015.

GetInline.aspx
GetInline.aspx

A bigger phone with more of everything! More screen to see with the pixel-rich, 6" Quad HD display, which is perfect for getting work done, playing games, and watching movies with stunning clarity. More sound to hear with Dual front-facing speakers, providing immersive stereo sound to give you the best audio for movies and games. More powerful processor, enabling lightning fast multi-tasking and brilliant graphics. More epic shots with An f2.0 lens and 13 megapixel camera with topical image stabilization, capturing great photos in daylight and low light. What's more, less charging with up to 6 hours of use from only 15 minutes of charging with a large 3220 mAh battery, giving customer’s over 24 hours of use from a full charge.

Upvote 0
Howdy gang!

I was following the rollout of the N6, waiting and wanting, but finally gave up on Big Red to ever release the phone... Now Verizon is finally offering it!

Any Verizon Peeps get it thru Verizon yet? Did Red bloat it up? is it still root-able?

Wife wants a phone, and I am pretty sure she would want to jump on my N4. That could lead me to N6 land... ... ... Humm...

Jerry

Upvote 0
Really depends on the region you live in. I had Sprint (coverage maps indicate full LTE/Spark coverage), yet, I've never gotten speeds better than 10 Mbps down. I'd average about 1-2 Mbps. Dumped Sprint, and enjoying much better coverage (in my area), and less than half the cost with Magenta

Upvote 0
You can activate it, yes.

It won't get updated to 5.1 (which the Verizon phones ship with) and it will show as an unrecognized device online. You can't change your plan if you want to, 'cause it's not recognized. If you have an employee discount or get $15-25 off for month to month that will drop (you would have to call each month to get it, if they will do it).

They have totally screwed up and angered a lot of people. Typical Verizon move.

I got a Nexus 6 from Swappa (Play Store edition) and did activate it for a day. I was all set to side-load 5.1 and then fight w/them on an ongoing basis but ended up going back to my Moto X 2nd gen, the 6 is just too big for me.

Upvote 0
No, you don't have to be rooted to side-load, that's why I was thinking about it. I've never rooted anything and didn't want to go down that rabbit hole. There's tons of info in the Nexus 6 forums on XDA, it seems pretty easy and straightforward. Just read through everything and then read it again.

You can also force an update over wifi without your SIM card in, but it's not the exact Verizon version. I thought about doing that too.

The catch, of course, is that you'd have to manually update every time as it looks like, right now anyway, Verizon is never going to play nice. Jerks. I love their coverage but really, I mostly hate them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones