• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus One newbie questions

A-Pac

Jun 14, 2010
Hey there, I just got my Nexus One & so far I love it. But I have a couple questions...coming from an old flip open phone.

1 - On my old phone I would flip it open & hold down 2 and it would immediately call the person I had assigned to 2, etc. Is there any equivalent to that? Basically the easiest / shortest amounts of touches to dial someones number.

2 - Is there a way to set up different ringtones between emails received and text messages received.

3 - Going off the question above, is there a way to have the track ball a different color based on if you have a text, email, missed call?

4 - Is there a way to have it vibrate AND ringtone for text / email notifications? I see for phone calls but not anything else.

5 - On my old phone, while texting I could add a "template"...basically saved sentences / phrases. For example Id begin to text, then click on add template, choose between a couple things I always write, and it would automatically write it in the text.

6 - When you touch the 4x4 square on the bottom middle (sorry dont know the term) and bring up all your icons for stuff installed...is there anyway to organize them? ...like put all your games in a folder almost, etc.

Thanks in advance!

1. there is a speed dial option. You can add a direct dial icon to a person through menu->add->shortcut->direct dial

2. Yes its in the settings for each of the applications.

3. There are apps that do this, i personally dont use any.

4. Yes, again in the settings for that application

5. Not that i know of.

6. No there is not.

Hopefully that helped

Reactions: A-Pac
Upvote 0
Hi and welcome

1, you can add favourites to the top of contacts by pressing the star icon at the side of them, I'm unaware of any shortcut option on the keypad

2, Yes go into settings and change the ringtones

3, Only if you update to Froyo (Android 2.2) or root your phone

4,Think thats a new Froyo option too

5, if you press and hold the text box some options appear under quick text (I'm using Handcent so this may be only available via this but its a free app n much better than the stock messenger)

6, Don't think you can, I've never seen an option to do so

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
1 - On my old phone I would flip it open & hold down 2 and it would immediately call the person I had assigned to 2, etc. Is there any equivalent to that? Basically the easiest / shortest amounts of touches to dial someones number.

You could always just put a Direct Dial shortcut on your home screen. Press and hold on home, select shortcut>direct dial. One touch to dial, don't even have to open the dialer. Of course there are apps to give you a "sense-like" visual contact list widget.

2 - Is there a way to set up different ringtones between emails received and text messages received. [

Email uses the default notification tone. To change the text tone open up messaging then go to menu>settings>select rigntone.

3 - Going off the question above, is there a way to have the track ball a different color based on if you have a text, email, missed call?

Yes, but requires rooting and a custom ROM.

4 - Is there a way to have it vibrate AND ringtone for text / email notifications? I see for phone calls but not anything else.

It's under the settings for each app.

5 - On my old phone, while texting I could add a "template"...basically saved sentences / phrases. For example Id begin to text, then click on add template, choose between a couple things I always write, and it would automatically write it in the text.

Not sure, sorry.

6 - When you touch the 4x4 square on the bottom middle (sorry dont know the term) and bring up all your icons for stuff installed...is there anyway to organize them? ...like put all your games in a folder almost, etc.

Thanks in advance!

You are talking about the app drawer. I don't think you can organize the app drawer itself, but you could put a new folser on one of your home screens and throw shortcuts into it so games are all in one location.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones