• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

nexus or bionic?

The DroidX was built like a tank. I'm not sure that either the Bionic or the G Nex is similar. I would go G Nex with a case if it were me.
This and a screen protector. I am using the Diztronic TPU case and the SGP Oleophobic screen protector. You might want a heavier-duty case like an otterbox if you drop or knock the phone around a lot. I tried a couple of screen protectors but ended up with the Oleophobic because it feels like the bare glass and other than the line around the edge, I forget it is on there (the protector doesn't go to the edge of the glass- about 2mm from it on all sides because of the curved nature of the screen).

I would go with the Galaxy Nexus. Guaranteed updates as timely as possible and the build quality is actually fine- but no Gorilla Glass. Motorola has been better about updates this past year, but the Bionic kept getting delayed and is already 6 months behind the pack hardware spec-wise.

Upvote 0
I had the bionic. It has better signal strength, better battery, and that's about its only ups side IMO. I would get the nexus. You can get an extra battery, and it'll last all day. Get an otter box and you'll be good. ICS is a huge step up over the bionic. I was also plagued with data drops on the bionic, but there is a leaked update that's fixed that.

Upvote 0
I'd take a GNex over a Bionic all day every day and twice on Sunday.

I must agree on the DX comments as well; I had it for about 14 months and it was a beast. I had a seidio surface case on it the whole time and after a few too many drops the clips that hold the case together started to break (at the end only 1 clip remained) but the phone itself was still in perfect shape.

Upvote 0
I came from a Bionic I had 4 replaced do to data drops and other issues. When I got the nexus the first thing I noticed was that it didn't feel as durable as the bionic and I've been super careful not to drop it. That being said an otter box I feel would protect it without any issues. If you don't care about rooting and plan on staying stock I recommended the Razr. I work for a construction company and a few of the bosses have switched to a Razr and they love the durability.

Upvote 0
i owned the bionic (3 actually), and ended up complaining to the FCC to get verizon to let buy another phone at discount. absolutely nothing but a laundry list of major problems with all three bugonics. i would avoid this phone like the black death based on my experience.

the bionic is basically the pinto of the LTE phone world.

the GN, without question, is worth an extra 100 bucks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones