• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Android Market preinstalled?

MrHoohah

Lurker
Aug 28, 2011
Greetings!

Just got back from a shopping trip, during which a lovely new A500 was purchased by my ladyfriend. We get home, connect it via wifi to the internet, all excited to get some apps downloaded, only to discover that the Android Market is nowhere to be found. I have searched and searched, and it seems the only reason this would be is that the tablet was sold in a region where the market is not available. Well, I can attest that that simply is not true. Our phones and friends' tablets are very capable of using the market, and we purchased it from a local Wal-Mart. I tried finding market .apk files and installing those, but they would just close upon clicking "yes" (or "no," for that matter) to the question of whether we wished to set up a Google account first. What can we do about this? The tablet isn't very much fun when you can't add anything to it! Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

That's just odd. You don't have the little white shopping bag icon in the app drawer? Like mentioned above try to create a google account online then going into your settings and accounts & sync to add the account there. To try and download the market apk market sure you have allow unknown sources checked. Under settings go to applications and check unknown sources if you haven't already done so

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

So far, no dice. Tried syncing the account to no avail; the marketplace website still insists that there is no record of any other device accessing the market app, and thus cannot be considered under the account. Argh.
I did indeed check the unknown sources thinger, I'm no stranger to installing .apk files. The market did actually install (three different versions so far), but shuts down immediately after asking if I want to set up an account. I uninstalled it each time this happened. Not quite sure where to go next!

Upvote 0
Aha, now here's something strange...

Upon doing a factory reset, there is still no market. However, more odd things abound:
Not a single question was asked upon startup. It just went straight to the home screen and started up the intro screensaver. No account setup procedure, nothing. I asked my lady if she was asked any questions when she first started it up out of the box, and she said no.

What on earth is going on with this thing?!

I wanted to avoid Acer support for as long as possible, but it looks like I might have to go there. In the meantime, thanks for the help everyone, and don't hesitate to suggest anything else!

Upvote 0
Greetings!

Just got back from a shopping trip, during which a lovely new A500 was purchased by my ladyfriend. We get home, connect it via wifi to the internet, all excited to get some apps downloaded, only to discover that the Android Market is nowhere to be found. I have searched and searched, and it seems the only reason this would be is that the tablet was sold in a region where the market is not available. Well, I can attest that that simply is not true. Our phones and friends' tablets are very capable of using the market, and we purchased it from a local Wal-Mart. I tried finding market .apk files and installing those, but they would just close upon clicking "yes" (or "no," for that matter) to the question of whether we wished to set up a Google account first. What can we do about this? The tablet isn't very much fun when you can't add anything to it! Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

The ****ers at Target sold us display models (I'm assuming you probably bought yours at the same retail chain store I did). When the doofus handed me the box from the display case I pointed directly at a white sticker with green trim on it that said, "Non-Retail Materials" and asked him if it was a display model. He told me that it wasn't and that sticker was a just a result from all of them being packaged together during shipment. I shrugged it off and didn't give it a closer look - I actually didn't read the, "Non-Retail Materials" words on the sticker until AFTER I realized I had no market installed. I had only noticed a huge green & white sticker covering the box when he handed it to me.

Have you noticed that the damn "screensaver" comes on randomly (before you flashed it with new firmware)? Even when I forced the screen off by pressing the power button briefly, it still would come back on only a minute later. It was really beginning to piss me off before I realized what happened.

I'll be going back to the store to get a new one.
Attached are pictures of the box (w/ sticker I was talking about) and images of the display screensaver running on the device.
IMG_2467.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wonYRgYXFGU/Tt-6UetnJDI/AAAAAAAAVig/tOXkslinWSQ/s640/IMG_2468.JPG

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones