• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No audible directions in Google Maps

Google Maps shows turn by turn graphic directions, but I can find no settings that allow me to hear the directions through the speaker on my S20 FE 5G, or through bluetooth on my car radio. This makes no sense to me since Google provides both Maps and the Android operating system. I've looked under phone Settings and also in Maps and can't find a way to activate this feature. What am I missing (besides intuitive menus)?

when you start a route......on the righthand side you should a speaker..... make sure it is not crossed off like this:
Screenshot_20211220-154306_Maps.jpg

also if you go to google maps>upper right corner and select your avatar>settings>navigation settings>make sure the mute state is set to unmuted

Upvote 0
As the first thing I tried, I did make sure the mute was off. Didn't make any difference. Did not try turning the volume all the way up. Wouldn't that affect the ringer volume too? It's already plenty loud enough.

In the Settings > Sounds and Vibration > Volumes on my Samsung, there's actually five separate volume controls. Ringtone, Media, Notifications, System, and Bixby. I don't use Google Maps myself, I guess it uses one of those, but I presume it's not Ringtone or Bixby. So I suggest checking the Notifications or System volume. .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones