• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Audio after Unplugging a 3.5mm input? Try This

nexusman

Lurker
Mar 5, 2010
I have a Nexus One. I had a problem whenever anything was plugged into the 3.5mm jack and I unplugged anything the 3.5mm input, whether I was receiving a call or not. After unplugging, there was no audio coming through the headset's internal speaker for calls or when I tried to play music. It didn't matter whether it was headphones or my stereo monitors at home. Unplugging the Nexus with this bug was particularly problematic as the headset would not ring for calls. I initially discovered that I could just toggle between sound off and sound on and this generally took care of the issue. But not wanting to have to take this extra step every time I unplugged, I tried a battery pull since rebooting wasn't really helping me. It had been recommended by a Motorola Droid user who had reported this as a known bug with the droid. Seems to be occurring only on Android 2.X phones.

It worked. I can now plug and unplug and the Nexus switches reroutes audio from the 3.5mm jack to the handset's speakers. Anyone know why pulling the battery fixes this (at least, temporarily)?

I have had this problem too, i usually fix it by replugging into the 3.5 jack, then unplugging and it would work. A friend of mine who has a Nexus has had problems with his speaker volume; he unplugged from the 3.5 jack and his volume was cut in half. It fixed itself for some odd reason. Google needs to fix this problem if they want to transcend to killing the iphone.

Upvote 0
i had corrected the issue before by doing the headphone jack in and out method too, but with more varied success. The best trick I had was swiping it silent mode on/off. The battery pull, so far, has at least avoided me to have to deal with this incessantly. I don't know how often it occurs for you but for me it was pretty much every time I unplugged, maybe with the only exception being when unplugged the jack while music was actually playing. Since the battery pull, my device has been fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones