• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No dock support on N7.2?

lightsleeper23

Android Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2011
Salt Lake City
Was anyone else disappointed to see the lack of pogo pins on the new N7? Not only is it incompatible with the current dock, which hasn't even been available very long, but it can never have any dock support at all. I don't know about anyone else, but I use my dock every day, and I just can't see going back to plugging and unplugging speaker AND usb wires, and putting it in and out of a case to prop it up, just to watch videos and charge. Yes, it's got wireless charging, and that'd be ok if I had a big charging pad, but that wont help prop it up or put sound through to my speakers. I was really looking forward to this thing to.

I just found out that the Nexus 7 (2013) is compatible with the Nexus Charging Orb. That's pretty neat!

The OP already implied that:
Yes, it's got wireless charging
but I agree with the main criticism:
but that wont help prop it up or put sound through to my speakers

The addition of contactless charging is certainly welcome if all you want is wireless charging, but the removal of the existing multifunctional contacts is retrograde and will seriously annoy potential upgraders who have already bought a dock for their "old" Nexus 7 and reasonably expected it not to be made obsolete before its warranty ran out... :-(

This shows an offhand attitude to existing customers that I didn't expect from Google. Perhaps they have reached a certain stage in their corporate growth that is pushing them towards the Microsoft model; perhaps they need to occasionally refresh their corporate memory of their own mission statement.

Upvote 0
Yes a wireless charging option is neat, but not enough for me to run out and get one. The more I think about it the more I think that a smart dock shouldn't be an issue for them to create for the N7 2.0. I am entirely too tempted to try and plug the N7 into my SGS4 smart dock and see what happens though. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones