• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"No Means Yes. Yes Means Anal" chant by Yale fraternity. Expel them?

Should the Yale DKE fraternity students be expelled?

• Total voters
thats an easy one:

1) frat- DKE
2) DKE member Dick Clark
3)Dick Clark owns Dick Clark Productions
4)Dick Clark Productions made a movie called 'The Demon Murder Case' 1983
5) Kevin Bacon starred in 'The Demon Murder Case'

less than 7 steps to Kevin Bacon

I can name that tune in 4 steps.
:D

frat - DKE

DKE member George Bush

Josh Brolin played George Bush in "W".

Josh Brolin also starred in Hollow man with Kevin Bacon.

Upvote 0
You mentioned the Hoff. He's famous for a hamburger incident his kid taped and sent to YouTube.

Learn something new every day! I didn't know the cheeseburger incident occurred in Hamberg. To me I always figured the Hoff was most famous for surrounding himself with women in ultra form fitting swim suits on a SoCal beach... :D

Upvote 0
Going back to the OP...

As an advocate for sexual assault victims, I think I have a bit of a right to speak on this.

I've seen the damage that rape causes, the scars it leaves, the ruin it makes of the victims' lives. It's a pandemic in our world, and anything that promotes it is about as disgusting as it gets.

But "disgusting" does not equal either "illegal" nor "actionable". And any lawyer who would try to read it otherwise should really look into another line of work. It's not really a question of "the dishes argument failing in court", it's more a question of "it shouldn't be brought up in court outside of an actual trial".

So... what criminal charges would your lawyer friends have been bringing, that the "dishes argument" would even come up?

That said: IF one of the members of this frat were to be accused of rape down the line, and it could be proven that they were in involved in this chant, that might be used as evidence of a predisposition.

And I seriously doubt that the Bushes being members of this frat has anything to do with it. It's more a case of privledged lil' boys acting out stupidly. Which privledged lil' boys tend to do, regardless of which side of the political isle they're on...

Upvote 0
But "disgusting" does not equal either "illegal" nor "actionable". And any lawyer who would try to read it otherwise should really look into another line of work. It's not really a question of "the dishes argument failing in court", it's more a question of "it shouldn't be brought up in court outside of an actual trial".

So... what criminal charges would your lawyer friends have been bringing, that the "dishes argument" would even come up?

You are misunderstanding. Another forum member suggested the chant was about washing dishes, and I replied don't ever be an attorney because he would embarrass himself in front of a judge. It wasn't directed to mean the frat students would go to court over a chant, I think this is where you got lost in translation. Kinda like telling someone "don't quiet your day job" when they try singing a song but do a horrible job at it.

Also my lawyer friends are actually family members, one of whom is my sister. She didn't say they would go to court. I was asking her if a dumb absurd excuse like washing dishes would hold up in court when the reference was clearly sex. Most "reasonable persons" hear the chant "no means yes, yes means anal" and they know it refers to sex, and not washing dishes.

Please read everything over again.

Upvote 0
As an advocate for sexual assault victims, I think I have a bit of a right to speak on this.

It's more a case of privledged lil' boys acting out stupidly. Which privledged lil' boys tend to do, regardless of which side of the political isle they're on...

WOW are you sure you are an advocate for victims of sexual assault? I hope you don't go around victims of sexual assault and try to condone a chant about rape as "oh, well you know, rich boys will say stupid things, rich boys will be rich boys." That was the craziest thing I've ever heard a supposed advocate for victims of sexual assault ever say. If I had just suffered sexual assault, and heard you condone that behavior by saying rich boys will be rich boys, I would be even more traumatized. You might as well just look a rape victim in the eye and say "well you know, boys will be boys." You shouldn't quiet your day job either.

Upvote 0
how many times have we leaned over to our friend and say man I wouldnt mind nailing that. Even though saying that doesnt mean I am going to do the action. We say many things through out our lives that never comes to be. So we should be punished for what we say that never comes to be?

I dont think it has to do with its bushes frat but more so it happened at Yale. Such a prestigious school you wouldnt think something like that would ever happen there. Its more of poor judgment on the students part to chant. We live and learn.

As far as what it means in court. first you need a victim. If you dont have a victim what case do you have. Its a bunch of guys acting stupid. Who really cares as we all have done dumb things in life.

Reactions: Crude
Upvote 0
*sigh*

First off, it's "quit". "Quiet" would mean "make less noise"...

WOW are you sure you are an advocate for victims of sexual assault? I hope you don't go around victims of sexual assault and try to condone a chant about rape as "oh, well you know, rich boys will say stupid things, rich boys will be rich boys." That was the craziest thing I've ever heard a supposed advocate for victims of sexual assault ever say. If I had just suffered sexual assault, and heard you condone that behavior by saying rich boys will be rich boys, I would be even more traumatized. You might as well just look a rape victim in the eye and say "well you know, boys will be boys." You shouldn't quiet your day job either.

Every heard of "context"?

Were i speaking to a victim of sexual assault, and this chant somehow came up (somehow), I would point out to said victim the ways they are better than the youths engaged in the chant. I would also help the victim through the issue, towards a point where such things don't hurt them. Which is out ultimate goal with a victim: to turn them into a "survivor" (or, as some locally are calling those who have recovered, a "thriver").

Of course, maybe there's a fundamental difference between you and I: I believe that problems in life (even one as large as being a rape victim) are there to be overcome, instead of becoming the tragedy one bases one's life on...

Of course, I'm trying to figure out HOW this would come up, unless the perp was identified as one of those chanting...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones