• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Otterbox for the Commando?

cdavid01

Lurker
Dec 26, 2011
I just got the Commando and loving it so far. I had the Droid X and I was on my 2nd (refurb) due to a system issue...then I cracked my screen. It still worked, so I was trying to hold out until my next upgrade. Then my 19mos. old dropped it in water! It still worked, but the SD card got damaged and I lost everything.
So, I was able to use my Dad's upgrade and I got the Commando. I know this is rugged, waterproof (to an extent), etc., but I noticed there isn't an Otterbox for it. Did they not make one b/c they figured it didn't need it?
I have the double layer case on it now, but wanted to maybe switch to an Otterbox with the built in screen protector.
Anyone know if they're coming out with one? Or is there something comparable?
Thanks in advance!

Water proof to an extent? I took this beast snorkeling in the Pacific.

Honestly, the only reason you'd need a case is for cosmetic reasons. The screen doesn't scratch, the outside will get dings and scratches, but other than that, you'd just be wasting your money on a case.

Lies. 24 hours in the oil fields and it scratched. And you can see all the other little scratches.

commandogfs.jpg

Upvote 0
I just got the Commando and loving it so far.
Anyone know if they're coming out with one? Or is there something comparable?
Thanks in advance!

I haven't found a need for a waterproof protective cover. I take mine paddling and place it in the mesh pouch on my kayak's deck bag. It gets wet all the time from the paddle but it's not a problem. I can use it to make or receive calls or to take pictures. Enjoy it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones