• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No sound during calls....anyone else?

Well I am on my 3rd GS4 now.....
Could possibly be you are either just that unlucky with the hardware, or it's your service. My S4 was on sprint since it was released, then given to me and been on BoostMoble for the past almost year with no problem like that. I haven't seen anything like that on XDA either. That happens on completely stock?

Upvote 0
Could possibly be you are either just that unlucky with the hardware, or it's your service. My S4 was on sprint since it was released, then given to me and been on BoostMoble for the past almost year with no problem like that. I haven't seen anything like that on XDA either. That happens on completely stock?

Yea it's completely stock on Verizon....

Upvote 0
Yea it's completely stock on Verizon....

I'm on AT&T and have had no problems until recently as well. When the sound dies, it happens in the middle of a call and then the person will call back, I answer, but no sound in either direction. I can call them back, and again, no sound in either direction. Reboot and it works again.

Hard to believe that a Sim card slot can go bad but be restored by a reboot.

I'm on ver. 4.4.2 on a model SGH-I337 - AT&T has tried to push an update lately which downloads, reboots and then fails at 27% aborting the update process. Not sure if it is related or what. Phone is not rooted but used to be until an OTA update about a year ago.

- I updated to 5.02 with the help of Samsung and so far the issue has not returned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its not just the s4.. its across the board with any smart phone on any carrier wit any os update... most fixes ars temporary fixes... i have an att s4 and a cricket s4... both used.. . i was only able to make 2 calls on the cricket with the kk 4.4...the att waS fine until i got the sims card error.. . att updated to 5.2...sound during call ok...i have done everything and no fix... went and got a cheap kyocera for now... maybe my next phone will be a blackberry... oh and the iphones have this same issue.. . one suggested fix was tweaking the grounding screw which s4 doesnt have... asked my bro what he thought... he has absolutely no problem with his phone... its a flip.... its a throw away world and ill be throwing away 2 phones

Upvote 0
This is not "across the board with any smart phone". ALL carriers are not experiencing this problem. Carriers have firmware to suit their network. Samsung do not produce the firmware made available by AT&T or TMobile, Verizon or other dedicated systems to their users phones otherwise as earlier stated by Ironass, there would be hundreds of millions of users complaining bitterly. The "firmware tweak" which is done by the carrier, is to suit their dedicated, locked phones. Therein lies the problem. My S4's were provided with an OTA Samsung upgrade to version 5 Android from version 4. Two went OK but one lost the Menu and Back button operation. I didn't like the option to do the temporary fix for this - so I rooted the phone and installed CM13 Marshmallow (version6) to this S4 phone and it works 100% like brand new. The Menu and Back buttons work as they should and I'm happy. I'm in New Zealand and our 3 main carriers supply their firmware for their own phones. If we use an 'unlocked' phone in NZ - we have to be very careful when we get firmware as I think we are classified "International".

Upvote 0
The common fix which has worked for a large number suffering this problem appears to be clearing caches and enabling more working space and cleaning the ear jack as dust and dirt seem to be causing connection troubles. Your suggestion that
"all iphones some htcs and all the samsungs on different carriers having this very same problem" cannot be substantiated. My family has a total of 6 Samsung phones and 1 iPhone and we have not had this problem.

Upvote 0
I have had this issue twice (6 mos ago and yesterday): my phone rings but I can't hear the caller (they can hear me) or I place a call and I can't hear the respondent (but they can hear me). I can hear them if I use the speaker or the earphones. The first time, I did everything on all the forums, and something worked, but I have no clue what worked. This time, I couldn't figure it out. T-Mobile sent me to Best Buy. Best Buy told me to get a new phone. I stopped a small cellphone hole in the wall accessory store. The guy asked me which network I had. When he heard it was T-Mobile, he smiled. He held the menu button and then pressed the bottom right symbol (it looks like a menu with an x) twice. Voila. The sound works again on calls.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones