• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Sound when watching TubeMate videos

Ok, guess I'm just old and download them the old fashion way. You kids and your apps :rolleyes::goofydroid:
I used to use a Firefox extension to download them, often for songs i discovered there that sadly cannot be purchased legally for some asinine reason, but then Youtube declared war on anything that's not Google Chrome.

These days, just to be an ass and mess with their statistics and to rile up all the futurists who hate me for using Windows 7 today, I use Youtube via Internet Explorer, which still works.

Upvote 0
The forced ads on YouTube really pizz me off !

FWIW, I use an app on my computer to borrow the music only, I promise to return it when I am finished with it !

laughinghard

Upvote 0
I pay for premium to avoid ads or the adblock block. It also gives me free Music which I often discover stuff I would later purchase, until a lot of that got stopped, being most on Amazon says ''not available for purchase" and I know of no other methods to purchase music other than CrApple, which has the same problem. Google Play no longer offers music or even tv shows or movies, and is into the whole 'you'll own nothing...' model.

So whether I like it or not, it's sailing the high seas for now.

What I hate most is that YouTube has so many stupid sponsor spots now that are basically ads for scam services such as SkillShare or Nord VPN that I want to unsub from any content creator who relies on them. there is no sponsor block extension on mobile, and most of these creators have Patreon support so why on earth do they force us to see stupid ads? I mean they are like corporations and just want more $$$.

Kinda ironic though that the OG YouTubers such as the Pewds and Markiplier don't do sponsors. Only the more 'modern' ones who have like 100K or less subs.

Upvote 0
You need to search and then click 'videos' up top, and then it shows thumbnails. Then you click one, and it asks if you want to watch on youtube or watch on DDG, and you select the latter and it just plays in an embedded player. Shouldn't have ads. The embedded player doesn't support ads. Sponsorships sadly are an exception.

You can even copy/paste links to posts here and they should play without ads no matter the browser. you shouldn't even need an extension.

Screenshot (1).png

Windows 11 ain't that bad. Windows 10 was ugly and dystopian. Windows 11 feels at least to me like a return towards glassmorphism or a more modern take on frutiger aero. It is still too flat for my liking so I still gravitate towards Windows 7 or a customized Linux distro, but I can at least use Win11 without hating every moment of it.

Here is the same trick using Internet Explorer on my Windows 7 laptop:

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ozonetrooper
Upvote 0
Lots of extra work to watch a video !

I like the old days when one just clicked the play button on the YouTube video that came up in a browser search. Remember when it even gave an option to download the video directly from the YT window ?

Fortunately anything I want to listen to I have on my hard drive already and what I do not have I still have ways to "borrow" it !

FJB and YT too !

sneer

Upvote 0
In the old days (well, if you consider 2009 old, it's still yesterday in my view) there were 'alternative' sites you could plug a YouTube URL into and let it play so even if your browser were 'unsupported' (which wasn't always an Internet Explorer thing, it used to blacklist and block Netscape 9 because it wasn't Firefox to Google) you could get past that. At one point Metacafe was how I viewed YouTube videos that were either country-blocked, private, or blacklisted because they hated Windows 98 SE (I never liked Windows XP so I kept 98 SE going until the rise of SSL pretty much ended it)

Using DDG isn't any harder than Youtube, if you keep the 'video' tab bookmarked, and just search your video there and play it without having to leave the site. It's pretty instant, and it works also for other platforms if you're into the Tiktok or Facecrap.

I pretty much am forced to do it that way if using any Windows 7 machine because today's YouTube is so full of code that even with 8GB of RAM, and a four-core i5 isn't even enough to have it load less than 10 minutes with the browser saying 'not responding' a few times before you can click anything.

It's only useable with an SSD-equipped system. I don't fully trust SSDs. "spinning rust" can always be made to work, while when an SSD dies, it dies for keeps. I will always trust spinning rust more. I got systems well over 30 years old that work fine with their original HDDs. I have already lost a couple of systems due to SSD failures. One is still in the 'dying' phase which means waiting two hours to boot Windows 10, and opening an app like email takes 30 minutes.

A good example of a 'failing' HDD being brought back. Try that with a dead SSD:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones