• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No space even after linking + cyanogen questions

xCdC

Lurker
Nov 19, 2014
Hi
I have rooted my HTC Desire A8181 some time ago, and used Link2SD premium (or whatever it is called) to link every application to my SD card (8gb class 10, sd-ext partition is just 1gb) even with it's internal data.
It was fine, I installed some apps and everything was working good and I still had about 100mb space left. However with some time, the space started to shrink even after uninstalling some apps. I haven't linked the data of apps that were small, like 2mb etc. just to not slow them down (thats another problem, I'll explain it later) but not anything that would consume my whole memory. Currently I have about 16MB left, I've actually experienced this problem before also, I was down to about 20mb space and somehow automagically I checked my remaining space and it jumped back to 80mb (I haven't uninstalled anything) but after uninstalling some app it started falling down again, now even after uninstalling the linked apps the space stays the same (Which is normal, i think..)
Some apps like Google Play Services bullshit are taking up to 80mb of space and are growing everyday, its complete bullshit and I would get rid of it if I only could (even trying to link it destroys everything, I've tried it once and needed to recover my phone because everything started to collapse)
And back to the speed of linked apps, after linking the internal data of apps like Snapchat, they are running slow, even though I'm using a class 10 SD card.
Also, considering the fact that my Gingerbread 2.3.3 android doesn't support most of the popular apps that people are using these days, I've started to consider moving onto Cyangoen mod. So I have some questions regarding Cyanogen on the HTC Desire:
1. Is it worth installing on that old phone? Will I be able to install more apps, and run them smoothly? I think I won't even consider installing the Cyanogen adapted to HTC Desire's limits, because it is also 2.3.3 (or a little bit higher, didn't make any research) because I want to be able to install some newer apps which require newer android versions.
2. Will Cyanogen totally fix the problem with so limited memory (by using the second partiton)? without making my apps run slow?

So, which version of Cyanogen would you suggest me (if any?)
Edit
Also, is running some higher android version (like 4.x) on Desire sensible? Won't it be laggy?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones