1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Noise Cancellation Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MEDIASERVE, Jun 4, 2010.

1. MEDIASERVE

MEDIASERVE Lurker
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    I've seen positive reviews on the dual mic noise cancellation of the nexus one. However, what I haven't seen addressed is whether than noise cancellation is bypassed when using a bluetooth headset?

It would be cool if the nexus one provided the same noise cancellation when using a bluetooth headset, but I kinda doubt it. Anyone know for sure?

Advertisement

2. cred05

cred05 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 17, 2008
    Ohio
    It would be up to the device to handle the noise cancellation, so in the event of you using a BT headset, the headset would have to have noise cancellation. The way it works on the phone, it uses both mic's and figures out what is background noise, and then filters it out to make your voice more clear. So the headset would have to do the same.

3. Talderon

Talderon Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2010
    Microsoft Corp. - Sr. Systems Engineer
    Seattle, WA
    +1

I have several BT Headsets and the cheaper ones sound pretty crappy (as expected) but my nice JawBone or Plantronics ones are fantastic due to their superior Noise Cancelling tech.

4. MEDIASERVE

MEDIASERVE Lurker
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Thanks for the info! I have a Plantronics Voyager Pro and Jawbone Icon, but I wondered if the phone was sophisticated enough to compare the bluetooth audio to the secondary mic on the phone and filter any noise without the headset having the tech. There are more comfortable headsets I would use if that were the case, that don't have noise cancellation.

5. Astronomer

Astronomer Newbie
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Firmware Developer
    North Texas
    Unfortunately, it's impossible for the phone to perform this function, as the phase angle of the cancellation signal is determined by the distance between the two microphones, which is by no means constant, much less known, between a Bluetooth headset and a phone.

Tags: