• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Normal" smart phone behavior?

So I'm just curious as this is my first smart phone whether or not the things my phone is doing just is a part of its "normal" behavior. Let me start by saying it started having weirdness within the first week of having it, not so coincidentally it started on the afternoon after I dropped it due to my eternal phone klutziness.

It started with unlocking itself while in my purse pocket and was randomly opening apps, going into my contacts, scrolling and texting letters at random. Took it to Metro PCS they accounted the behavior to a overload or backup of data and "refreshed/flushed" the phone system out. Two days later it was no longer scrolling or texting however it still was opening apps randomly.

Took it back to Metro PCS where I waited for awhile while the lady there tried to get it to replicate it. I told her it happens sporadically but she told me that she cannot just replace the phone she has to see it doing the weirdness. Of course nothing happens whilst I'm there but she says that perhaps it was happening because my touch sensitivity was too high so she lowered that and removed the widgets from my home screens. She also noted it in the system and if it happens again they would replace it...

So I had the phone with me on vacation and for the most part it was fine, however it still was randomly opening things from time to time. In addition once when I got onto Metro Web it took me to the google search homepage then when I would hit the end button it instead would back up from an previous web search through the previous pages until it was back on the metro web home screen before closing the app.

So okay that's weird and I can deal with it, but this morning I picked the phone up to look at it from a locked state and when I unlocked it an app that is only accessible from the tray was open and running on it. I was the last one to use the phone prior to picking it back up so I'm sure it was not already running. Is this normal-ish? Or should I try to get it replaced? I'm hesitant only because I don't want to end up with a "lazy" ascend and I would like to root my phone however I want to be sure that I'm keeping it first. (Mine runs angry birds with no problems which is a great distraction for my son)

Thanks for your help :)

So I'm just curious as this is my first smart phone whether or not the things my phone is doing just is a part of its "normal" behavior. Let me start by saying it started having weirdness within the first week of having it, not so coincidentally it started on the afternoon after I dropped it due to my eternal phone klutziness.

It started with unlocking itself while in my purse pocket and was randomly opening apps, going into my contacts, scrolling and texting letters at random. Took it to Metro PCS they accounted the behavior to a overload or backup of data and "refreshed/flushed" the phone system out. Two days later it was no longer scrolling or texting however it still was opening apps randomly.

Took it back to Metro PCS where I waited for awhile while the lady there tried to get it to replicate it. I told her it happens sporadically but she told me that she cannot just replace the phone she has to see it doing the weirdness. Of course nothing happens whilst I'm there but she says that perhaps it was happening because my touch sensitivity was too high so she lowered that and removed the widgets from my home screens. She also noted it in the system and if it happens again they would replace it...

So I had the phone with me on vacation and for the most part it was fine, however it still was randomly opening things from time to time. In addition once when I got onto Metro Web it took me to the google search homepage then when I would hit the end button it instead would back up from an previous web search through the previous pages until it was back on the metro web home screen before closing the app.

So okay that's weird and I can deal with it, but this morning I picked the phone up to look at it from a locked state and when I unlocked it an app that is only accessible from the tray was open and running on it. I was the last one to use the phone prior to picking it back up so I'm sure it was not already running. Is this normal-ish? Or should I try to get it replaced? I'm hesitant only because I don't want to end up with a "lazy" ascend and I would like to root my phone however I want to be sure that I'm keeping it first. (Mine runs angry birds with no problems which is a great distraction for my son)

Thanks for your help :)

Go into your settings & disable the 'TRACKBALL WAKE' feature if it's available on your particular O/S (2.1.1/2.2/ICARUS/CM6-7).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones