• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not recognizing being plugged in...

hott-toddy

Lurker
Nov 19, 2010
So I've had my Captivate for 2-3 months and have had very few issues with it. Sure, the battery dies faster than I'd like despite being on lowest brightness and having connections turned off, but I can deal with that. The first thing that struck me as odd is that after doing the 2.1 update that AT&T put out (for the GPS fix, I believe?), every time I reboot my phone it gives the "Congratulations, your phone is now updated" message. Every time. It didn't bother me at first, but it's kind of ridiculous.

The next thing I found is that mine doesn't support the TV plugin. I had multiple clients tell me they got the 3.5mm to 3-wire TV cord and it works perfectly. I tried one and it was so full of static and the one little part of the screen I could tell was being recognized from the phone was out of place and quite unusable. So I determined it was a defective cord, got another one, and... same exact result. And yes, I tried the TV out settings on both NTSC (which is supposed to be the right one) and PAL. Nothing.
Edit: On the TV cables, I forgot to mention, many times the yellow and red cords are reversed, and I tried them both ways, with no success.

So, it's not the end of the world that I can't view it on the TV, although I'd like to still be able to some time in the future. Now what's really getting to me is that I tried to connect it to my PC with Kies and it doesn't work. At all. For anything. I was trying to flash 2.2 to it, couldn't do it. Then I simply tried backing up my files, and the Kies program wouldn't recognize my phone. I tried updating the drivers for the usb and phone several different ways, and the thing just is not able to be read.

If anyone has any ideas how to fix any of these, that would be greatly appreciated. The main thing I'd like to do is to finally get froyo....

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones