• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Not Sure What Happened to My Droid Maxx

I have had my Droid Maxx for a year. I loved it in the first few months, then things went very wrong. It has been replaced 6 times and each of the Droid Maxx replacements share the same problems. With each Android update, it just gets worse.
It all started with messaging. When you speak a text message in any text messaging app, (built-in, Verizon Messaging, WhatsApp, etc) the result is the same. You speak your message, you hit send, and the message quickly re-appears in the text input field. In order to send the next message, you have to delete the first. When you using the speech to text feature in Quick Office (came with the phone), anything spoken disappears. You say what you want, it types across the screen, then disappears.
With Android updates along the way, I can add to the list:
1) Keyboard freezes and crashes. Often times when bringing the keyboard to the screen, it crashes, freezes, or "jumps up and down" on the screen.
2) All apps now more frequently crash. This did not happen in the first few months of owning the phone.
3) When launching an app, the screen turns completely white. hit the back button, launch again, and all is well.
4) Camera is very sporadic. You can take pictures and they do not record to storage. Everything seems OK in the camera app, but when you go to the gallery, images are not there. Now, the camera does not work at all.
5) GPS freezes. You are moving along, and realize that the GPS froze a few miles back.
6) Multiple times, the phone is lost my Google accounts. You get a message saying "cannot log in." All account passwords have to be entered again.
Although the phone has been replaced multiple times, these things continue to happen on each phone. Motorola has either seen these things happen via a remote app, or have been able to duplicate the problems on a Droid Maxx in the Call Centers. After replacing the phone multiple times, Motorola has now offered to buy the phone back. Clearly, the problems cannot be fixed.
Every possible troubleshooting step has been taking. Just to verify that an app is not causing the problem, most of these glitches have occurred after a factory reset with no add-on apps and not Google accounts synched to the phone. I wish it performed as it did when I first got the phone.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones