• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 9 and Android 9.0

Catharinavv

Lurker
Feb 18, 2019
One week after Android 9.0 I have the following problems. My screen when locked doesn"t show anything anymore..Always on display is turned on and all the settings are correct. The second, I play chesswithfriends...after android 9 there are no notifications anymore, worse I have to close the app and restart to see any moves. All the settings are correct, also in the app. This is the only app that gives me this problem. I did empty my phone cache already and tried a lot off settings. Does anyone recognize this?

Sounds like a compatibility problem with the particular app, Chess With Friends. Which would be a problem that Zynga needs to rectify.

FWIW I never touch anything by Zynga myself, because I don't agree with their EULA

I'm using Pie myself on a Huawei no problem, no factory resets required.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are sure you did a factory reset and DIDNT do a restore of an old backup, it’s assumed the phone is operating normally and you just have an app that is not yet compatible or you are not totally versed in the new features of the upgrade.

Most often than not when people post like this after a major upgrade , its usually with some random 3rd party software that has not yet been made compatible with ther upgrade. I would reach out to the dev of the app and inquire.

In the meantime, i suggest you catch up on some YouTube videos of the new features and operation of this update.

Reactions: Catharinavv
Upvote 0
If you are sure you did a factory reset and DIDNT do a restore of an old backup, it’s assumed the phone is operating normally and you just have an app that is not yet compatible or you are not totally versed in the new features of the upgrade.

Most often than not when people post like this after a major upgrade , its usually with some random 3rd party software that has not yet been made compatible with ther upgrade. I would reach out to the dev of the app and inquire.

In the meantime, i suggest you catch up on some YouTube videos of the new features and operation of this update.

I'm sure I did the factory one. The most fun one off all 😣
It's an app from Zynga... I think I know most people at Zynga helpdesk by name because this app crash a lot. So added to that is the notification problem. The answer off Zynga is kind, be patient, it's a complex problem. We're working on it. The crashing thing is a thing they are working on for over a year now.
The lock screen is a problem that's commen. No solution found.

Upvote 0
For the Always on Display, just go to settings>lockscreen>always on display>tap on the side opposite toggle>change view mode to show always instead of tap to display. In Samsung settings, there are a lot of settings underneath options still. This is indicated by items being written under the label in blue (Always on display will have show always or tap to display written), and there will be a vertical line between the toggle and the label.

No idea on chess with friends.

Upvote 0
For the Always on Display, just go to settings>lockscreen>always on display>tap on the side opposite toggle>change view mode to show always instead of tap to display. In Samsung settings, there are a lot of settings underneath options still. This is indicated by items being written under the label in blue (Always on display will have show always or tap to display written), and there will be a vertical line between the toggle and the label.

No idea on chess with friends.

My HERO! That worked!!!! Many Thanks

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones