• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notes app that will sync with desktop?

MKeditor

Jul 27, 2009
I am about to make the jump to Android. One of the hurdles I have to deal with is notes. I have been using windows mobile since 2004 which syncs Microsoft Notes. Is there an app that will sync with MS Notes....or.....is there an app that has a desktop app that will sync with Android?

Thanks.

Check out UpVise.

You'll need to create an account on the internet, from your PC/Mac, on Upvise - Mobile On-Demand software, sync, collaboration, CRM for Small Businesses.

choose the Free version (there's a Pro version as well).

Then, download UpVise from the Market.

You'll be able to create notebooks/notes, which will automatically sync between the online version and your Android version. Enter info online, it's automatically on your Android, next time you launch UpVise from your phone. Enter info from your phone, it's always available to you on any pc with internet access!

Also has a great shopping program!

FREE...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, Shel. I wasn't looking to host my information on the internet though. I really would rather have my notes more secure than that. Am I to take it that there doesn't exist software that will sync notes from an Android phone to my desktop computer? I am surprised that Windows Mobile has something up on Android as simple as this.

Upvote 0
MKEditor: I am also using MS One Note and at this point there is no app for android, and I doubt MS will bother with one.

A good alternative to OneNote is Evernote (Remember Everything. | Evernote Corporation) which has a desktop version. Only problem is that they haven't released an android client yet, though they say they are working on it. In the mean time they have suped-up their mobile Evernote website to work well with the Android browser, although I haven't tested it yet. You can get more info here:

Evernote Blogcast Blog Archive Evernote Mobile Web Gets Androidified

---------------------------------------------------------

Another alternative is 3banana, which works like Evernote. 3banana _does_ have an andorid app (Free) which even allows for adding images from the camera, however they don't have a desktop app (yet?).

3banana android app: 3banana Notes v1.07 Application for Android | Productivity

3banana web site: 3banana

Big difference between 3banana and Evernote/OneNote is that 3banana does not (yet) allow for multiple "notebooks", it's just one long stream of individual notes, although you can search/sort with hash tags (#).

---------------------------------------------

More relevant to your question about syncing from the phone to your computer, there is a notetaking app, kind of like OneNote, called "Note Everything" Note Everything v2.4.0 Application for Android | Productivity

The main version is free, and will also do voice notes and drawings. To get photo support, and to sync to your _SD card_ you have to upgrade to the pro version: Note Everything Pro v1.0.2 Application for Android | Productivity

I assume once you've backed up to the SD Card you can then back that file up to your PC, though I don't know if you can read from it on the PC.

Upvote 0
I just bought an HTC Hero. I previously had a mobile windows phone and used Microsoft OneNote to sync my phone messages and other notes I wanted to keep. I've tried 3banana but it's not great. It doesn't let me create folders and save old notes. I don't see evernote yet having an android solution. Does anyone have another suggestion? How does this Note Everything work? Can it be used on the desktop and my android phone? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I just bought an HTC Hero. I previously had a mobile windows phone and used Microsoft OneNote to sync my phone messages and other notes I wanted to keep. I've tried 3banana but it's not great. It doesn't let me create folders and save old notes. I don't see evernote yet having an android solution. Does anyone have another suggestion? How does this Note Everything work? Can it be used on the desktop and my android phone? Thanks.

No, it's an Android phone app only. So far I haven't seen anything that is for both.

EverNote, however, now has a beta version for Android, but you can't get it in the Market Place, you have to DL from them and install separately. I haven't tried it yet. You can get more info here: Evernote Beta app Android And Me Forums

also see this: http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=51&sid=21b607fcddf24bec6a209400d3a85800

Upvote 0
I'll suggest 3banana, regarding not being able to create folders, you are able to add multiple tags to notes, and then click on a tag to see all notes attached to it, which in my mind is better than folders (google agrees, i.e. gmail labels)

It also syncs with a web app so u can view the notes anywhere.

+1 for 3banana. (or should that be +3)

Upvote 0
I'll suggest 3banana, regarding not being able to create folders, you are able to add multiple tags to notes, and then click on a tag to see all notes attached to it, which in my mind is better than folders (google agrees, i.e. gmail labels)

It also syncs with a web app so u can view the notes anywhere.

Without getting too far off topic, I'd suggest that the difference between using tags and using folders is a psychological thing, and different people's brains use them differently. It's like people who have a really messy office, but know where _everything_ is if they really need it (tags) and people who have a really organized office with everything is a specific drawer, cupboard, cabinet, or file folder (folders).

I need folders to keep everything visually separated, or it becomes to "overwhelming" to me organizationally. That's why I prefer Evernote over 3Banana, and why I am using NoteEverything until the final Evernote app comes out.

Upvote 0
thanks to everyone for all your help. I now have the android beta on my phone and it works great. Thanks also for the recent description of the differences between tags and folders. I, too, like the concept of folders. One of the things I like about Evernote is the ability to have multiple folders on my desktop, only a few of which get synced onto the phone. This lets me manage the information so much better.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

I'm looking for an app that will provide an online sync. By that I mean, take a note on my desktop or mobile that will be added to an online storage or replace a previous version on that server. Much like Dropbox but only for notes.
Evernote would be perfect but the Android app doesn't actually work offline : you can't read your notes if you are not connected to the wifi/3G.
3banana is an online only tool in its desktop version and it's not what I'm looking for either...

Any good idea ?
Thanks ! :D

Upvote 0
@Danny: I believe there are ways of doing it with GoogleDocs. There is a Google docs app for Android, and you can probably find something out there to sync Google Docs with your PC.

Alternately, and a bit convolutedly, you could use DropBox or SugarSync with NoteEverything by exporting and importing to/from NE to your SD card regularly, and having that folder on your SD card sync with Dropbox or SugarSync.

I am also really pissed about the Evernote Android debacle. I even started a thread about it in the Evernote forums. (You can read it here and voice your opinion: Evernote User Forum • View topic - Evernote for Android won't allow _OFFLINE_ notes! ). Apparently the current info is that it's in the works (offline notes). Apparently they are pretty apple-centric at Evernote. It seems one of the other big pet-peeves with the Android Evernote App is that you can't edit notes on your Android phone, only append them!

Upvote 0
Well, still no luck. I could go through Dropbox and Documents to go...but really, how unfriendly is that ?
I thought I found what I was looking for with springpad but the damn thing will only synchronise one way, mobile to pc that is. If I edit the note on my computer, the edit won't show on my mobile and the mobile's version will eventually erase the PC edit.

How hard can it be to offer note sync on Android ? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Not really sync-able unless you copy the database file back and forth but Keepass for pc and droid are compatible with each other and have security.

I just ran across this thread cause I was wondering if there is a way to share my one note 2010 notebook with my droid, apparently there isn't.... unless you do it via browser which won't work in my case since our security nazi disabled web share options in office 2010.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones